"Ramsgate in 1896 and today" Ramsgate by budapest8
Ramsgate Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 105 photos
Pictures from my Great Grandfather
I have been here many times, mostly in the 80`s and 90`s on my
numereous visits back to Continental Europe or on arriving back after
many years away. My Great Grandfather the Rev.W.T.Vale spent 6
months here in 1896 and was given a book of thanks with photographs
and a carraige clock which I inherited. So thought it might be fun to post
some old pictures from Ramsgate 1896. I will be updating these pages
as I scan in the old photos!
Ramsgate is located in the South East of England in the county of Kent -
"the Garden of England" - famous for its apple and cherry orchards,
green fields and pleasant rolling hills. Only 25 kilometres away is the
famous cathedral city of Canterbury and all around are fascinating
Ramsgate is a picturesque seaside town with many fine old buildings,
the colourful Royal Harbour and a population of 42,000. It is a busy port
and shopping centre with a range of sports facilities in the town and
Ramsgate is not a big city so you can enjoy a healthy stay free from the
problems of city life. Peaceful and safe, it is an ideal stop when arriving
by sea to the UK.
Ramsgate people still have time to stop and talk if you ask them for
directions or just chatting in the pub.
check out in the tips for more scanned photos from 1896..
Here you can see better the 2 men at the base of the tower and in front of their house??? TEXT TO COME SOON... more travel advice
Another section from the lighthouse picture... 2 men relaxing on the grass.. probably worked at the lighthouse or... more travel advice
budapest8's Related Pages
Ramsgate Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Day out by the sea, anyone?"
- "Ramsgate in 1896 and today"
- "An unexpected overnight stay in Ramsgate"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ramsgate
- Hotels in Ramsgate
- Transportation in Ramsgate
- Nightlife in Ramsgate
- Restaurants in Ramsgate
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ramsgate
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Ramsgate?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ramsgate
Photos in RamsgateSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Budapest Intro, 111 reviews, 291 photos, 5 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 150 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Wight Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Nagykata Intro, 52 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ulcinj Intro, 22 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hungary Intro, 22 reviews, 65 photos, 6 travelogues
- Oostende Intro, 20 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Europe Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos
- Slindon Intro, 17 reviews, 55 photos
- Pecs Intro, 18 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues