"Örnsköldsvik on the High Coast" Örnsköldsvik by budapest8
Örnsköldsvik Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 5 photos
Örnsköldsvik is situated near the northern end of
the "High Coast", which is a UNESCO World Heritage
Site and has the third longest suspension bridge in Europe,
the Höga Kusten Bridge. The city is located around
100 km south of Umeå and 550 km north of Stockholm.
The area is dominated by forest, but it also contains
minor areas of agriculture.
There is also a harbour, where cargo ships load
and unload timber and other merchandise, with a huge paper
mill industry being the bulk of trade..
Örnsköldsvik municipality is vast, covering an area
of 680 square kilometres. Its population is 55 000, of
which 35 000 live in the central region. So the further north
you go north away from Stockholm, the sparser the population is
This area, including the town of Örnsköldsvik, is currently enjoying
a period of rapid expansion as more and more people move here from
other parts of Sweden and the number of tourists goes up and up.
The main square got a facelift and even has a Wifi hotspot.
For hikers and cyclists there are almost 40 km of footpaths and cycle paths.
The municipality has 300 hectares of parkland, 85 playgrounds and 15 ice rinks,
so plenty of space for activities.
Recreation is never a problem
In Örnsköldsvik, the seasons have quite an
influence on recreation activities. There is so much
to do here. All the time!
The quayside festivities and outdoor concerts
in summertime, boat trips through our beautiful
archipelago, swimming in the sea and lakes,
and rounds of golf on our 18-hole courses.
And in the winter, the delights of skating,
cross-country and downhill skiing, and the
excitement of watching the local ice hockey
team MODO Hockey playing elite league matches, well that is
if your an ice hockey fan. The town does have 2 football
teams and even a womans football team, but up north,
people are not so enthusiastic with footie and maybe explains why
the local teams don't do very well.
Seems people prefer ice underfoot rather than grass..haha
budapest8's Related Pages
Örnsköldsvik Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Beautiful Town"
- "Örnsköldsvik on the High Coast"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Örnsköldsvik
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Örnsköldsvik?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Örnsköldsvik
Top 10 Pages
- Budapest Intro, 111 reviews, 291 photos, 5 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 150 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Wight Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Nagykata Intro, 52 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ulcinj Intro, 22 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hungary Intro, 22 reviews, 65 photos, 6 travelogues
- Oostende Intro, 20 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Europe Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos
- Slindon Intro, 17 reviews, 55 photos
- Pecs Intro, 18 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues