"Lednice na Morave and surroundings" Lednice by budapest8
Lednice Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 106 photos
Just arrived back today from Czech Republic and
visited Lednice yesterday...lots of pictures and info to come.
Lednice (historical German name: Eisgrub) is a village
in the Czech Republic which was in 1996 inscribed on the
UNESCO World Heritage List (together with the twin manor
of Valtice) as "an exceptional example of the designed
landscape that evolved in the Enlightenment and afterwards
under the care of a single family." It contains a palace and the
largest park in the country, which covers 200 km².
Since Legnice first passed into the hands of the House of Liechtenstein
in the mid-13th century, its fortunes had been tied inseparably
to those of that noble family, one of the richest in Bohemia.
The palace of Lednice began its life as a Renaissance villa;
in the 17th century it became a summer residence of the
ruling Princes of Liechtenstein. The estate house —
designed and furbished by baroque architects
Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach,
and Anton Johan Ospel
— proclaimed rural luxury on the grandest scale.
In 1846-58 it was extensively rebuilt in a
Neo-Gothic style under the supervision of Georg Wingelmüller.
Great place to spend a day!
Plenty to do for all ages.
The surrounding park is laid out in an English garden
style and contains a range of Romantic follies by Joseph Hardtmuth,
including the artificial ruins of a medieval castle on the bank of the Dyje River
(1801) and a solitary sixty-metre minaret, reputedly the tallest outside the
Muslim world at the time of its construction (1797-1804).
- Pros:Nice place to own if you were a noble Lord or Baron
- Cons:Wouldn't fancy paying the gas and electric bills!
- In a nutshell:Moravian Castle Lednice show us the splendour of archictecture
% got a bratwurst and a beer and Clara a langos with cheese, usual Central European standard at tourist prices! But I... more travel advice
There are so many beautiful things to see, but sad that one family should posess so much. more travel advice
budapest8's Related Pages
Lednice Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SO MUCH TO SEE AT LEDNICE"
- "Lednice na Morave and surroundings"
- "A Wombat in Lednice Park"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lednice
- 14 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Lednice?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lednice
Photos in LedniceSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Budapest Intro, 111 reviews, 291 photos, 5 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 150 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Wight Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Nagykata Intro, 52 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ulcinj Intro, 22 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hungary Intro, 22 reviews, 65 photos, 6 travelogues
- Oostende Intro, 20 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Europe Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos
- Slindon Intro, 17 reviews, 55 photos
- Pecs Intro, 18 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues