"In an oasis of Central Asia" Ak-Say by budapest8
Ak-Say Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 2 photos
In an oasis of Central Asia
We arrived evening time so didn't see too much, but well remember the hot sping bath house with natural thermal hot springs.
his is an opportunity to bathe in natural hot springs. The waters are said to have healing properties curing everything from insomnia to rheumatism. Al-Suu's sanatorium 7 km from Karakol is set in a pretty gorge and has numerous relaxing bathhouses. Local people come here at weekends to wallow in the waters, chat and ramble through the gorge. The village of Ak Suu close has plenty of attractive wooden cottages, a Orthodox church and shops where you can stock up on traditional post-bath bread, fish, vodka and beer.
Deserts and steppes are characteristic for the nature of Central Asia. The mountain chains of the Tien-Shan with Issyk-Kul lake in its heart seem to be an oasis in the middle of this arid region. Issyk-Kul lake (180 km long and 60 km wide, max. depth 668 m) is the second largest high mountain lake in the world. The lake is at 1,600 m above sea level and is surrounded by mountain ranges of an altitude up to 7,439 m. A combination of extreme depth, thermal activity and mild salinity means the lake never freezes.
Coming from the lakeshore you can see many different landscapes within a 4-hour car-ride: deserts, semi-deserts, steppes, mountain meadows and forests, sub alpine and alpine meadows, snowdrifts and glaciers. They are inhabited by many species threatened by extinction, of which the snow leopard, the Marco Polo sheep and the ibisbill are the best known.
budapest8's Related Pages
Ak-Say Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Ak-Say
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Ak-Say?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ak-Say
Top 10 Pages
- Budapest Intro, 111 reviews, 291 photos, 5 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 49 reviews, 150 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Wight Intro, 68 reviews, 109 photos
- Nagykata Intro, 52 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ulcinj Intro, 22 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hungary Intro, 22 reviews, 65 photos, 6 travelogues
- Oostende Intro, 20 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Europe Intro, 23 reviews, 50 photos
- Slindon Intro, 17 reviews, 55 photos
- Pecs Intro, 18 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues