"Bahamas during hurricane Andrew" The Bahamas by tampa_shawn

The Bahamas Travel Guide: 2,017 reviews and 4,557 photos

Me trying to land after parasailing!

Hurricane Andrew visited the Bahamas the same week I did. Hurricane Andrew was one of the worse natural disasters in the world. It pounded the Bahamas before hitting South Florida and left a wake of destruction in its path.

I was amazed that the morning after the hurricane the entire country seemed to be outside working together to clean everything up. There was an intense feeling of cooperation and pride everywhere.

Non-violent prisoners were even put on the streets to do much of the heavy work, cutting up downed trees and remove them from the road. In almost no time the beaches had been combed and cleaned and stores were reopen.

Days before the Hurricane hit there was also a major election in the Bahamas. They ousted the incumbent government, so I was worried about violent looting etc then. Of course there was "no problem."

Again, everywhere I looked their was a sense of pride and duty.

Many of the locals showed me stacks of neatly clipped newspaper articles and their own personal notes on the debates that they had used to decide who to vote for.

******************************
Every now and then my fellow Americans ask why I travel and what can I possibly learn by visiting third world countries…..and I remember the pride and responsiblity the Bahamanians take in their country and right to vote.

And I also remember coming back to South Florida, another site of Hurricane Andrews devastation, and seeing none of the progress or community spirit that I saw in some little third world country just off our shore.

Yes, we all have a lot to learn

"I believe that every right implies a responsibility;
every opportunity, an obligation;
every possession, a duty."
-- John D. Rockefeller Jr.

• Pros:White sand beaches, great diving and people
  • Cons:Don't go durning Hurricane season!
  • Intro Updated Mar 11, 2003

Comments

tampa_shawn

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness”

Badges & Stats in The Bahamas

Have you been to The Bahamas?

Latest Activity in The Bahamas