"Bahamas during hurricane Andrew" The Bahamas by tampa_shawn
The Bahamas Travel Guide: 2,026 reviews and 4,590 photos
Me trying to land after parasailing!
Hurricane Andrew visited the Bahamas the same week I did. Hurricane Andrew was one of the worse natural disasters in the world. It pounded the Bahamas before hitting South Florida and left a wake of destruction in its path.
I was amazed that the morning after the hurricane the entire country seemed to be outside working together to clean everything up. There was an intense feeling of cooperation and pride everywhere.
Non-violent prisoners were even put on the streets to do much of the heavy work, cutting up downed trees and remove them from the road. In almost no time the beaches had been combed and cleaned and stores were reopen.
Days before the Hurricane hit there was also a major election in the Bahamas. They ousted the incumbent government, so I was worried about violent looting etc then. Of course there was "no problem."
Again, everywhere I looked their was a sense of pride and duty.
Many of the locals showed me stacks of neatly clipped newspaper articles and their own personal notes on the debates that they had used to decide who to vote for.
Every now and then my fellow Americans ask why I travel and what can I possibly learn by visiting third world countries…..and I remember the pride and responsiblity the Bahamanians take in their country and right to vote.
And I also remember coming back to South Florida, another site of Hurricane Andrews devastation, and seeing none of the progress or community spirit that I saw in some little third world country just off our shore.
Yes, we all have a lot to learn
"I believe that every right implies a responsibility;
every opportunity, an obligation;
every possession, a duty."
-- John D. Rockefeller Jr.
- Pros:White sand beaches, great diving and people
- Cons:Don't go durning Hurricane season!
tampa_shawn's Related Pages
The Bahamas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Island Time"
- "Freeport & Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island"
- "Cruise Trip to the Bahama Island"
- "Grand Bahama Island"
- "The Bahamas - When you think of Paradise"
- "The Bahamas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in The Bahamas
- Hotels in The Bahamas
- Transportation in The Bahamas
- Nightlife in The Bahamas
- Restaurants in The Bahamas
- Shopping in The Bahamas
- Warnings and Dangers in The Bahamas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in The Bahamas
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to The Bahamas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in The Bahamas
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 189 reviews, 123 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vietnam Intro, 49 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos
- Colombia Intro, 31 reviews, 105 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 22 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gainesville Intro, 20 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sa Pa Intro, 12 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sarasota Intro, 56 reviews, 19 photos
- Hanoi Intro, 13 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Africa Intro, 17 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues