"Tampa_Shawn Visits Vietnam" Top 5 Page for this destination Vietnam by tampa_shawn
Vietnam Travel Guide: 12,903 reviews and 32,493 photos
Vietnam – Gets my vote for the Top Travel Destination in 2003
Now is the perfect time to visit Vietnam. The tourist infrastructure is in place so tourists have easy access to transportation, hotels, restaurants and bathroom facilities and while at the same time being still uncorrupted by tourism.
The country is amazingly different and exotic. It’s an inexpensive destination to visit. The land is lush and beautiful. The Vietnamese people themselves are absolutely charming.
Its also an amazingly safe place to travel…even for single American women!
Friends if your not looking for travel tips you'll find the most interesting pictures and stories under my travelogue pages and in the Local Custom travel tips
My father was a military photographer who was stationed in Vietnam during the "American War" (what the "Vietnam War" is called in Vietnam) and many of my earliest memories center around the war and its impacts on the Vietnamese people and my family. Because of this many of my pages are geared to the courageous men who served in this war (and if your like me people who are interested in history)
Vets will be interested in:
"My dad's Vietnam"
"Hanoi Hilton - Hoa Lo Prison & POW Release (my family was in Hawaii and was there to greet the POWs...my mother and I gave them leis and Cracker Jacks and I have pictures)
My father also two mini movie for the Vietnam Vets that shows both his own and other people's pictures of 1969 Saigon and even features Armed Forces Vietnam Broadcasts as the background music.
Here is another video my dad made. This one is made from the pictures he took at the Tan Son Nhut AFB when he was in Vietnam in 1969. This will bring back a ton of memories for the guys who were there since it really highlights the music, sounds and the military base itself. The music and background sounds he chose are amazing and really adds to the presentation. The people show are either my dad, the people he worked or lived with or local people of interest (like the bikini clad weather girl).
Vets will also be interested in this YouTube series that merges the Saigon during the war with the current Saigon:
If your mainly interested in seeing my pictures you may want to look at
my SHUTTERFLY SCRAPBOOK
STORIES OF MY TRIP ARE SCATTERED THROUGHOUT THE WEBSITE...be sure to note that I did a web page with travelogues, tips etc on most of the major cities in Vietnam. Here are a few favorites:
+ The Point and Eat Game - Eating Eyeballs, Snakes and Dogs!???
+ Exotic Vietnamese Customs
+ My Trip Highlights (I am still working on writing these and linking them to the various pages)
+ The Sights and Sounds of Saigon at Night
IF YOU ARE A VIETNAM VET or like me a child of a Vet you will enjoy looking at the following pages...
+ Dad's Vietnam 1968 - 1969
+ The Hanoi Hilton, Communist Propaganda
+ Saigon, Still here after all these years
The website has tons of pictures and is ready to view, but since I just got back from Vietnam at the end of Nov 2003 I am still actively writing up stories and editing spelling etc. So look now and also come back later so you can see the new info.
I have built pages for all the major cities so look at my TRAVEL PAGES to see all the pictures and stories
- Pros:Beautiful country, wonderful people, a great experience
- Cons:Its a long plane ride from the US
- In a nutshell:Go Now...Go Soon...Before it changes
Here is a little known secret, that will make your trip to Halong Bay. Halong Bay often has Bio luminescence...that's... more travel advice
Ha Long Bay is an UNESCO World Heritage site that the Vietnamese call the 'descending dragon'. It's a truly remarkable... more travel advice
- See All Buy Books from Street Vendors
- See All Coconut Icecream - Awesome
- See All Eating Street Food - Eat Pho
- See All Cyclos - What a Blast
tampa_shawn's Related Pages
Vietnam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A narrow land with a bit of everything"
- "Tampa_Shawn Visits Vietnam"
- "Count your Dong in Vietnam"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vietnam
- Hotels in Vietnam
- Transportation in Vietnam
- Nightlife in Vietnam
- Restaurants in Vietnam
- Shopping in Vietnam
- Warnings and Dangers in Vietnam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vietnam
- 120 Reviews
- 494 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 7 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Vietnam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vietnam
Videos in VietnamSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tampa Intro, 189 reviews, 123 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vietnam Intro, 49 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues
- San Diego Intro, 50 reviews, 96 photos
- Colombia Intro, 31 reviews, 105 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 22 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gainesville Intro, 20 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sa Pa Intro, 12 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sarasota Intro, 56 reviews, 19 photos
- Hanoi Intro, 13 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Africa Intro, 17 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues