"Veracruz Puerto" Top 5 Page for this destination Veracruz by alza

Veracruz Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 121 photos

Veracruz revisited

Just changing the pic here for a more general one of Veracruz, now that I've returned to it a year after this Intro was written. And gradually continuing to build this page.
I stayed in Veracruz in September and October 2005. First in Boca del Rio, a fishermen´s village 15 minutes away from the Port and Centre, on the Gulf of Mexico and exactly where the river meets the sea. My favourite thing of all was to take the short bus ride into town every day, along the sunny coast.
Then I moved in the Centre of Veracruz, a block away from the Malecon and city beaches, in a hotel that was more like a guest-house called the Real Caribe. At last, I was right in the middle of things! You didn´t find me at home much.

Veracruz is colourful and friendly, with a great all-around Caribbean flavour. Dancing happens naturally at terrace cafes to the sounds of Cuban groups. Strolling musicians sing popular Jarocho songs, playing marimbas, harps, guitars and violins. All this in an old Spanish colonial setting of wonderful, worn-down white mansions. You can´t help but forget all worries here. The only tourists I ever saw in Veracruz where Mexicans from other parts of the country. Oh and a cruise ship or two stopped overnight in the Port when Hurricane Wilma prevented them from throwing anchor in Cancun. A rare event and Veracruzanos were thrilled but also a bit bewildered.
Real coffee can be had here, which is a treat in Mexico, where Nescafe Instant Coffee is thought by many to be the summum of taste. Happily, things are changing everywhere. :)

• Intro Updated Oct 8, 2006

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Another fabulous little page about your adventures in Mexico. I must admit that I have never visited this part of the world.

• SOLODANCER's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2011 at 9:20 AM

'Veracruz is about the hottest place I know'. This coming from a well seasoned traveller like you. I'm convinced. I missed the chance on Veracruz years back, now I must get my act together!

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Si j'avais une goélette je ferais escale à Veracruz, le nom est si beau. Si j'avais un trois mats je ferais le tour par le Cap Horn. J'avoue avoir trop lu Henry Dana.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2010 at 1:42 PM

I always wanted to go there, but not yet. You did a nice presentation of showing the sites and making good comments.

• painterdave's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2010 at 7:20 AM

I like the way your write your pages, appreciate the honesty. Always wanted to go there, used to be a tourist place bigtime. The food!

• raytor's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2010 at 1:48 PM

I doubt if you are surprised by any of it. Wine, women and song are an investment, never a waste. :-)

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2010 at 7:45 AM

Lou, you've made Veracruz sound like such and interesting place to visit! I enjoy your writing style very much.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2010 at 11:16 AM

I enjoyed reading about your stay in Veracruz although I have a feeling from what you say that it would be too hot for me!!

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2010 at 11:18 AM

What an interesting page. Never heard of it before, so thanks for introducing it to me.;-)

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2009 at 10:53 AM

interesting looking place

alza Used To Live Here!

alza

“Voyage Voyage!”

Badges & Stats in Veracruz

Have you been to Veracruz?

Latest Activity in Veracruz