"Family living brings you back to life!" Portland by alza

Portland Travel Guide: 1,407 reviews and 2,751 photos

At my sister's in Portland

Once, not long ago, I went to my sister's in Portland for a couple of months. I'd been there for short visits before but her sons were young and sis and I never had time to connect.
This time, they went to school and work while I kept the house and garden, went to the library, and ate with them under the pergola at night.
It was a strange feeling for me, seeing this family unit working, with ups and downs. Everyone doing his thing, yet relating to each other so closely.
When my nephew had his friends over and they all practised on drums and guitars in the living-room, I thought I'd go nuts!
when the other nephew complained he didn't like the new neighbourhood, far from his friends, I was sad for my sis who'd purchased the lil house for them.

But it was never long before I'd see a card "To Mom" on the sofa... "Hey Mom, I know I complain a lot but just wanted to say thank you Mom, for driving me everywhere and for loving me when I'm a jerk, and you know... this old house is cool after all. P.S. thanks for letting me go to the party, I met a gal, I think she likes me."

When I came home, I missed all this interaction... My sis is from Quebec, like me of course haha. And she never gave up, raising her two sons on her own. We're still one big happy family, even if the three of them are so far away...

Great Blues Fest in Portland

I bought an Olympus camera with a zoom, and I took this pic of a Blues Lover... real hippie, babacool!

But I found it very embarrassing to zoom in on people, so I returned the camera and got another plain Olympus (I'd lost my first plain one.) The focus is better on the camera without the zoom, I think.

• Intro Updated Sep 4, 2003

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2010 at 5:19 AM

Hey Lou! I visited Pittock Mansion last October and I think you give a really good description of this beautiful place. I really enjoyed visiting Portland, it does seem like a great place to live!

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2010 at 4:49 AM

I often pop over to Portland - to Powells Books online! It's a great place.

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Glad you enjoy your times in our city.

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2007 at 7:37 PM

Indeed, a real family page! Very nice.

• zanzooni's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2006 at 9:24 PM

Great introspective communication. This page says so much, in so few words. ~

• ZanieOR's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2005 at 1:14 PM

Glad you liked Portland. I live on the other side of Oregon, but my daughter lives there so I visit often. It's a neat city, I think.

• travelightly's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2004 at 6:36 PM

Lou, I used to drive over the Hawthorne Bridge to work - did a 360 degree spin with my car one icy morning. Your comments captured the spirit of Portland!

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2004 at 1:27 PM

So when is your sister opening a B&B?

• Jewels's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2004 at 5:36 PM

Portland! not to far from Seattle :o) came very close to the area few months ago. Maybe I'll visit this year sometime.

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2004 at 7:38 PM

I am not very good at zooming in on people either

alza

“Voyage Voyage!”

Badges & Stats in Portland

Have you been to Portland?

Latest Activity in Portland