"Family living brings you back to life!" Portland by alza
Portland Travel Guide: 1,406 reviews and 2,746 photos
Once, not long ago, I went to my sister's in Portland for a couple of months. I'd been there for short visits before but her sons were young and sis and I never had time to connect.
This time, they went to school and work while I kept the house and garden, went to the library, and ate with them under the pergola at night.
It was a strange feeling for me, seeing this family unit working, with ups and downs. Everyone doing his thing, yet relating to each other so closely.
When my nephew had his friends over and they all practised on drums and guitars in the living-room, I thought I'd go nuts!
when the other nephew complained he didn't like the new neighbourhood, far from his friends, I was sad for my sis who'd purchased the lil house for them.
But it was never long before I'd see a card "To Mom" on the sofa... "Hey Mom, I know I complain a lot but just wanted to say thank you Mom, for driving me everywhere and for loving me when I'm a jerk, and you know... this old house is cool after all. P.S. thanks for letting me go to the party, I met a gal, I think she likes me."
When I came home, I missed all this interaction... My sis is from Quebec, like me of course haha. And she never gave up, raising her two sons on her own. We're still one big happy family, even if the three of them are so far away...
I bought an Olympus camera with a zoom, and I took this pic of a Blues Lover... real hippie, babacool!
But I found it very embarrassing to zoom in on people, so I returned the camera and got another plain Olympus (I'd lost my first plain one.) The focus is better on the camera without the zoom, I think.
Here's a recent pic of Hawthorne Bridge, taken on a day where the sky was fabulous. Hanging out in the vicinity is... more travel advice
This big ol' house belonged to the owner of the newspaper The Oregonian, Henry Pittock. It's a nice outing to do when... more travel advice
alza's Related Pages
Portland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nearest Big City"
- "City of Roses, Rivers and the Mountain Corgi"
- "Portland, an great liveable city"
- "The Pearl of the Pacific Northwest"
- "If it's tourist season, can we shoot them?"
- "A beautiful city to visit even on a short trip"
- "We Gotta Get Out of This Place: Portland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Portland
- Hotels in Portland
- Transportation in Portland
- Nightlife in Portland
- Restaurants in Portland
- Shopping in Portland
- Warnings and Dangers in Portland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Portland
- 4 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Portland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Portland
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 33 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Estado de Veracruz-Llave Intro, 11 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Veracruz Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 10 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Montreal Intro, 8 reviews, 28 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 6 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cuba Intro, 8 reviews, 26 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vatican City Intro, 5 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Orlando Intro, 9 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues