"To be discovered, over the years" Rome by alza

Rome Travel Guide: 11,967 reviews and 26,456 photos

Patri Patriae
Anno XI
A FASCIBUS RENOVATIS

August had many names, here "To the emperor, Caesar, Son of the Divine,
August, Father of the Nation"

They forgot Pontifex Maximus but he probably got that title after the statue had been marked.

August is taking the rhetorical ad locutio pose, to make an impression on the troops he is addressing. This statue shows a return to the Greek style, emphasising youth, strength, leadership, heroes.
The message is that August is the best man to govern Rome.

He looks exactly like the Augustus of Prima Porta (supposed to be in the Vatican Museums.) And the pointed index reminds me of the huge hand from Constantine's statue... political speeches were already the norm.

The walk along Fori Imperiali is all I ever imagined Rome to be.

Recent Rome

...July 2010: back from a month in Italy, with a week in Malta in the middle. Most of my time was spent in Rome and I found a lot of new stuff so I'll try to update this page a bit.

Main noticeable change for me was that the sector round Termini Station has become quite a Little Asia. You'll find stores that sell all sorts of goods from trinkets to clothes, all quite cheap. Also lots of beauty/nails salons, cleaners, cafés, bars, restaurants, etc. Some stores just seem to be full of boxes and piles of material or other, often made me wonder what they actually sell.
I walked in that sector for 9 days and it looked more like a refuge for newcomers to Rome from Asia. Store owners gather outside and talk together but don't seem interested in inviting you in when you stop to look at their window. It's like a closed community for now, I think.

First days, last days

I landed in Rome and spent 2 days there (Vatican City) before leaving for Tuscany. The weather was superb during those 2 days and I took 227 photos, some at sunrise... I had gotten up at 5 a.m., a feat for me. But my memory card was broken in a Foto Ottica shop so I lost those pics.

I found it very pleasant and restful to stay in Vatican City the first days of my trip. There are crowds there too but the atmosphere is different from, say, Piazza Navona or the Spanish Steps. It was great walking by St.Peter's Square and going straight for Porta Angelica and Borgo Pio. Some nice cafés and restaurants in the area. And those calendars of young priests showing off funky hairdos are so funny!

Back in Rome for the last 9 days of my trip. I tried to replace my lost photos but this doesn't really work. Also, this time, the weather wasn't as good and most pics look grey to me...

I went to Testaccio and San Lorenzo for the first time and enjoyed knowing a "Rome of Romans", rather than seeing mostly tourists all day.
But in Rome's Centro historico, it's very natural to be surrounded by other visitors and in any case, Rome always seemed to be a city where everyone is "home" in their own way.

• Last visit to Rome: Dec 2009
  • Intro Updated Aug 11, 2010

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Superbe la photo d'Auguste !

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Long time no speak Lou. Great restaurant tips here - even the one that got slated ;-)

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Bonjour Lou, content de vous revoir ... à Rome.

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Yes, indeed, Lou - we would "invade" Rome in great style! Love your Belli tips - outstanding, Much new now at Gianicolo. BTW - hope you put your Gianicolo tips on the separate Gianicolo page also! <(•¿•)>

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2011 at 10:39 PM

Just dropping by for some porchetta & a little tongue, Lou. You know I'd need seconds on the pork, walk or no walk. It all sounds so tasty but I'd skip that 13 Euro orange cake. That buys too much pie on either side of the pond. Great old Rome shot!

• sirgaw's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2010 at 3:15 AM

Hi Lou, you wrote: >I had to admit once again that I'm >not gifted for writing useful tips. I disagree - great information and keep up the good work. Best wishes David

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2010 at 1:38 AM

I just loved your description Lou. I also loved strolling around Rome and all it offers. Dorrise

• the_ancient_mariner's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2010 at 6:13 AM

Thanks for your description of Villa Medici and the dramatic photos. I have been to Trinità dei Monti before, but didn't know about the fountain. We'll be sure to visit the Villa on our next trip in November.

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2010 at 5:59 PM

You write very well Lou..Your mention of Tivoli reminded me of a visit that I made there in the Seventies..I remember her name and the wonderful sunset, and not too much more.Wonderful restaurant tips again..Thank you !

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2010 at 10:39 AM

really beautiful main pic here!

alza