"Tivoli" Tivoli by alza
Tivoli Travel Guide: 140 reviews and 502 photos
Hadrian was born in Italica, Hispania (near Seville.) His ancestors had come from
ancient Adria, a city of Picenum, situated about 10 km from the Adriatic Sea.
Adria then was close to Teate (now Chieti in Abruzzo, and likely of Etruscan origin.)
During his reign, he is known to have maintained world peace and restored the Empire's economy. He is also remembered for his passion for Antinous, a beautiful young man from Bythinia, a Roman province in Asia Minor. When Antinous died by drowning in the Nile, Hadrian ordered his deification.
The Emperor died of heart failure at 62. Surprisingly, he died in his villa at Baiae, an elite place for the rich near Pozzuoli... and not at his beloved Villa Adriana in Tibur (now Tivoli, near Rome.)
Here is a poem written by Hadrian a few hours before his death.
Animula, vagula, blandula
Hospes comesque corporis
Quae nunc abibis in loca
Pallidula, rigida, nudula,
Nec, ut soles, dabis iocos...
P. Aelius Hadrianus Imp.
Roving amiable little soul,
Body's companion and guest,
Now descending for parts
Colorless, unbending, and bare
Your usual distractions no more shall be there...
In French, "hospes comesque" is better said as "host and friend." I love
Animula, vagula, blandula...
Photo is one of hundreds of Antinous statues. I took it at the Vatican Museum with my mobile phone.
Here is a pot-pourri of photos from Villa Adriana in June 2010. More photos of Villa Adriana in travelogue below. The... more travel advice
alza's Related Pages
Tivoli Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Tivoli Taster"
- "DAY TRIP TO TIVOLI"
- "Tivoli - UNESCO World Heritage Site"
- "The Tivoli's villas"
- "Up in the hills........"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tivoli
- Hotels in Tivoli
- Transportation in Tivoli
- Restaurants in Tivoli
- Shopping in Tivoli
- Warnings and Dangers in Tivoli
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tivoli
- 2 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Tivoli?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tivoli
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 33 reviews, 104 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 13 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Estado de Veracruz-Llave Intro, 11 reviews, 39 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Veracruz Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 10 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 6 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cuba Intro, 8 reviews, 26 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vatican City Intro, 5 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Orlando Intro, 9 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Slovenia Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (126)
Latest Tivoli hotel reviews
- Hotel Sirene
- 1 Review & Opinion