"A Malagasy girl's tour" rrvaly's Profile

Madagascar - my homecountry

Madagascar is the 4th largest island in the world so a single post on the country will definitely not be fair to descrive the diversity and the beauty of the country. I would define Madagascar as the country of diversity:
- Diversity of people because as you travel within the country, you'll meet different kind of Malagasy people. If you're in Antananarivo, the capital city, people will look more like Indonesians whereas on the Coast, people are more similar to Africans. And each city has its own specific culture, history and habits although we're all Malagasy and we all eat rice everyday. :)
- Diversity of climate, fauna and flora: Since Madagascar is an island, about 90% of its fauna and flora is endemic... perfect place for nature lovers! If on the East coast, the climate is humid, it becomes more and more arid as you go to the South... so imagine the different experiences you can get in one place!!!

Fort-Dauphin (Tolagnaro) - Madagascar

I do have a crush for Fort-Dauphin, in the South of Madagascar because it's the unique place where you have the nature diversity represented in a region. The city itself is quite small although you can enjoy the Libanona beach which is located downtown. For those who like good food, Fort-Dauphin is "the" place for lobsters for a more than fair price. The great sites to discover are in the surroundings, about 2 to 4 hours from downtown. I talk about the duration rather than about the distance because the roads are truly part of the adventure!!! But everytime I went to visit a new place in Fort-Dauphin, I've never been disappointed of the amazinfg landscape each site offers.
I would recommend Sainte Luce, a fishermen village, where I spent an unforgettable day with so nice, welcoming people; Lokaro and Evatraha, with beautiful beaches that make you want to be with your lover and live like Adam & Eve, and Berenty.
There are also closer sites such as the Nahampoana reserve, a colonial botanic garden, the Domaine de la cascade to enjoy hiking and swimming...
For people who like sport, a part from swimming, you can go for kite surf (get information at Lavasoa hotel, they're amazing!), learn surf, go for hiking at the Pic Saint Louis... or just chill out and look at whales if you go there at the right period.

Fort-Dauphin is becoming a more and more attractive destination for cruises, via the Ehoala port. (respecting international norms)

Nosy Be - Madagascar

Nosy Be is an island in the North of Madagascar, or an archipelago to be more precise. I love the people there who are always smiling whatever happens... People use to say that Malagasy people are very welcoming and accomodating but I guess it's in that part of the country that I really saw no exception to our reputation. Nosy be is a heaven for those who look for beautiful beaches. You can also go for snorkeling (at Nosy Tanihely). As far as I know, Nosy Be is the city in which we have the most foreigner tourist investors... Many times have I been amazed by the "personality" of each tourist infrastructure there, which is still quite rare in the island.

Boston - USA

I also lived in Boston, MA for few years, my second hometown. The city was exactly how I imagined it, huge roads with big and beautiful cars with the beach not too far (I'm an island girl!!!), everything was so well organized: the infrastructure, the services... I truly loved that city because of the American culture that pushes you beyond your limit until you get to discover new things about yourself, but also because Boston is home to young people from all over the world, mostly students (like me at that time). Boston has the best universities in the US (Harvard University and MIT) so I guess there are also some of the best students in the world there!!! :) I arrived in Boston during summer - thank God - and quickly adjusted to my new environment since everybody, in offices as much as in the streets, was very helpful for everything... so I had time to enjoy my stay until my first winter with snow... Boston was my first time place for many things, including playing like a kid in the snow.... but no, I'll never be a snow girl!!!
I have so many memories of that place such as the famous cheese cake factory (the best cheese cakes of the US), the duck tour (it's a city tour in a car that goes on roads-like any car- and in the sea!!!), the public gardens full of people dying for a suntan (I'm already tanned so I don't really get that point! :)), the whale watch tour...

Réunion Island

Another unforgettable trip I had in 2012 was the Réunion Island, close to Madagascar. I've never seen a place with so many beautiful girls and handsome boys... The population there is a mix of different countries and it comes out really "pretty". Also, during the fast journey in Réunion, my husband and I went to the Piton de la fournaise volcano. We saw the signs at the entrance saying "5 hours walk" to get to the center of the volcano but we under-estimated the duration... I almost died before getting to the top... but it was the first time of my life I was above coulds, almost alone in the world... Amazing lifetime experience!!!

Tamatave - Madagascar

Tamatave (Toamasina in Malagasy) is one of the most common holiday destination of people from the capital city Antananarivo since it's the closest beach, located in the East coast. It's the city with the main port of Madagascar, although there's also the Ehoala Port in Fort-Dauphin. People generally go to the surroundings - Foulpointe - to enjoy the sea since in Tamatave, it's been said that there are sharks. If you go half an hour further from Foulpointe, you end up in Mahambo, another magic place, recommended for surfers.

Ampefy - Madagascar

Ampefy is 2 hour drive from Antananarivo, the capital city of Madagascar. Perfect for a week-end escape, Ampefy is known for its geysers.

Sainte Marie - Madagascar

Sainte Marie, located in the North of Madagascar, has beautiful beaches... The île aux nattes, an island 15minutes by boat from Sainte Marie, is a perfect place for honeymoon for nature lovers with white sand beaches and in the middle of orchids.

• Intro Written Jul 31, 2013

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2013 at 3:26 AM

Happy belated birthday! :-)

Dec 18, 2013 at 4:52 AM

Happy birthday :)

Aug 2, 2013 at 3:14 AM

Welcome to vt.
    Excellent intro you made there.
    And really nice to see a person from Madagascar here.

• rrvaly's Profile Photo
      Sep 3, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Thanks cachaseiro... I'm still discovering the platform but I like it a lot!

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I have been here for more than 11 years and you are always welcome to write me if you have any questions about it.
      I personally really like this site.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
rrvaly's Profile Photo

rrvaly

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.