"Gorging On Cheddar" Top 5 Page for this destination Cheddar by hayward68

Cheddar Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 102 photos

Cheddar Gorge is an area of stunning beauty that should be seen to be believed, preferably in the sunlight, though with English weather you never know what you will receive. The Gorge starts at the Mendip hills and two miles later ends at the village of Cheddar.
We arrived in the pouring rain and ran through the downpour to wander through the Cheddar Caves. After spending some fascinating time underground we emerged to dazzling sunlight and the sight of green clad cliffs towering above us. Wild sheep wandered at will on the cliffs and gawking tourist almost caused accidents after stopping their car to take pictures (oops, that was us)!
My Mum had urged me for years to visit Cheddar Gorge, but it wasn’t until I saw the Gorge against the brilliant blue sky that I understood her reasons for such a visit.
People have lived in the Gorge area for 40 000 years and it has been a tourist attraction for over 200 years. And yes, this is where Cheddar cheese derived its name; there are various shops in which to buy the original Cheddar cheese.
I highly recommend a trip to the Gorge to view its (pun intended) gorgeousness ;-)

• Pros:Stunning scenery, yummy cheese
  • Cons:Are there any??
  • In a nutshell:Discover the home of cheddar!
  • Last visit to Cheddar: May 2002
  • Intro Updated Sep 4, 2003

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2009 at 11:30 AM

~ Hi, Laura! Thanks for your nice page about that splendid place! ~ Take care! ~

• Sjalen's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2006 at 6:47 AM

WOW...this turns more and more into a must :)

• bugalugs's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2005 at 7:09 AM

I remember visiting here when I was at school. Isnt that amazing about the skeleton and the local teacher being related 9,000 years apart!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2005 at 1:55 PM

Excellent pages, interesting comments (the thought of you lot singing in the mine's a bit of a worry though!)

• DUNK67's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2004 at 2:05 AM

some great tips and photos of a beautiful area.

• hevbell's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2004 at 4:35 AM

The gorge looks lovely and I know the cheese is good!! Always wanted to go there [well for a few years anyway!] but not made it yet :(

• jrs1234's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2003 at 5:48 AM

This is somewhere I got taken to as a child - it's a nice place! Nice pictures - thanks!

• janika's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2003 at 5:39 AM

How interesting to know how the "Cheddar cheese" got it's name. Cheddar Caves & Gorge was very interesting. Your pictures speak for themselves like always, excellent job Laura. *****

• Charlie_UK's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2003 at 3:08 PM

Cheddar is nice but white crumbly cheese like Caerphilly or Lancashire is best!

• MURRA's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2003 at 9:54 AM

nice foto of restaurant , the whole thing seems a bit cheesy ...

hayward68

“I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away”

Badges & Stats in Cheddar

Have you been to Cheddar?

Latest Activity in Cheddar