"The Mystical Isle of Avalon" Top 5 Page for this destination Glastonbury by hayward68

Glastonbury Travel Guide: 136 reviews and 434 photos

This former island, the mystical Isle of Avalon, has been drawing pilgrims to its site for hundreds of years for varying reasons.

There are many myths, legends and the occasional fact associated with Glastonbury and the surrounding landscape, including Glastonbury Tor, which rises above the town and can be seen for miles around.

One fact is that about two thousand years ago the sea was right at the foot of Glastonbury Tor, however, this gradually receded leaving behind this 170 metre hill surrounded by marshy land.

Some of the legends involve Joseph of Aramathea, thought to have landed here with the Holy Grail; King Arthur, who supposedly came to the Isle of Dead (Avalon) after being mortally wounded in battle, after his death being buried at the Abbey, along with his beloved Guinevere (though I don't know how or when she died).

There are also legends associated with the Goddess and with Druids, far too many for me to be able to describe here.

Whether Pagan, Christian or other, people feel that Glastonbury is a spiritual place and that a visit to the town allows one to become more spiritually aware. Whatever your beliefs, you'll realize that there is something truly mystical about Glastonbury. I'm an Anglican and a pilgrimmage to Glastonbury to visit the first Christian Church was a must for me.

• Pros:History from every nook and cranny
  • Cons:Heaving with tourists at certain times
  • In a nutshell:Mystical, magical and thoroughly enjoyable
  • Last visit to Glastonbury: May 2002
  • Intro Updated Jul 22, 2004

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2007 at 11:07 PM

Fascinating page Laura, I didn't know any of this history.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2006 at 2:51 PM

Very interesting architecture here and informative tips on the long history of Glastonbury! I did not know what I was missing when I passed just north of there on my way to Cheddar Gorge!

• psychocy's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2006 at 12:41 PM

Wow, love your Glastonbury photos and tips! I have to get going on my own Glastonbury page - such a beautiful place.

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2006 at 5:26 AM

Very good info with nice pictures on this historic site.

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2005 at 1:13 PM

Fantastic! Beautiful place. You almost destroyed my illusions of Arthur being buried in a crypt deep within a cave somewhere. Silly girl, the Scots have the Grail--it's at Rossyln, everyone knows that! ;-)

• LouiseTopp's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2005 at 9:10 AM

Whats the best way to get to the well and Glastonbury from Wiltshire? i don't drive, so it would have to be public transport. I hope you didn't mind me asking, thanks.

• hevbell's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2005 at 12:58 AM

interesting tips! i had no idea about the history of Glastonbury, I only ever hear about it in connection with the music festival! Great page!

• cuckoo's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2005 at 8:47 AM

Our Handfasting was at the foot of the Tor :-) A Truly Special Place.

• Roeffie's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2005 at 11:34 AM

Been there too! Loved it, done that! Wanna do it again!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2005 at 4:25 AM

Amazing place and page. Thank you for sharing - now, Glastonbury is added to my future England adventures! Happy New Year :-)

hayward68

“I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away”

Badges & Stats in Glastonbury

Have you been to Glastonbury?

Latest Activity in Glastonbury