"The Mystical Isle of Avalon" Top 5 Page for this destination Glastonbury by hayward68
Glastonbury Travel Guide: 136 reviews and 434 photos
This former island, the mystical Isle of Avalon, has been drawing pilgrims to its site for hundreds of years for varying reasons.
There are many myths, legends and the occasional fact associated with Glastonbury and the surrounding landscape, including Glastonbury Tor, which rises above the town and can be seen for miles around.
One fact is that about two thousand years ago the sea was right at the foot of Glastonbury Tor, however, this gradually receded leaving behind this 170 metre hill surrounded by marshy land.
Some of the legends involve Joseph of Aramathea, thought to have landed here with the Holy Grail; King Arthur, who supposedly came to the Isle of Dead (Avalon) after being mortally wounded in battle, after his death being buried at the Abbey, along with his beloved Guinevere (though I don't know how or when she died).
There are also legends associated with the Goddess and with Druids, far too many for me to be able to describe here.
Whether Pagan, Christian or other, people feel that Glastonbury is a spiritual place and that a visit to the town allows one to become more spiritually aware. Whatever your beliefs, you'll realize that there is something truly mystical about Glastonbury. I'm an Anglican and a pilgrimmage to Glastonbury to visit the first Christian Church was a must for me.
- Pros:History from every nook and cranny
- Cons:Heaving with tourists at certain times
- In a nutshell:Mystical, magical and thoroughly enjoyable
Now home to the Tourist Information Centre, this 15th century building on the High Street was thought to have been a... more travel advice
The Chalice Well is a spring which flows up in a stone well shaft thought to be more than 800 years old. It is also... more travel advice
hayward68's Related Pages
Glastonbury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GLASTONBURY - QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS!"
- "The Mystical Isle of Avalon"
- "Glastonbury - not just for hippies"
- "Glastonbury - Tranquility at it's finest!"
- "Glastonbury Festival"
- "England's mountains green"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Glastonbury
- Hotels in Glastonbury
- Transportation in Glastonbury
- Nightlife in Glastonbury
- Restaurants in Glastonbury
- Shopping in Glastonbury
- Warnings and Dangers in Glastonbury
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Glastonbury
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Glastonbury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glastonbury
Photos in GlastonburySee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Egypt Intro, 57 reviews, 117 photos, 7 travelogues
- London Intro, 70 reviews, 83 photos, 5 travelogues
- New Hampshire Intro, 52 reviews, 53 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mongolia Intro, 23 reviews, 64 photos
- Fort Lauderdale Intro, 33 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 31 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 38 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cairo Intro, 23 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tulum Intro, 22 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 28 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue