"Walking Hadrian's Wall" Top 5 Page for this destination Northumberland by hayward68

Northumberland Travel Guide: 366 reviews and 1,157 photos

One of the many places I'd always wanted to visit in the UK was Hadrian's Wall. I don't know why I'm so fascinated with it but I am. This long wall built across the north of England to keep the invading "barbarians" in the north away. Needless to say I had to visit this piece of England's ancient past. VT'er Steventilly and his lovely wife Susan were my guides that day as I'd been staying with them. So off we set with our hiking boots and maps in hand!

• Pros:A chance to walk part of England's past
  • Cons:It can be quite windy, rainy and cold up there
  • In a nutshell:History comes to life
  • Last visit to Northumberland: May 2002
  • Intro Updated Jan 26, 2003

• Ben-UK's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2006 at 1:22 PM

Planning to travel around Northumberland later this year -- I've never seen Hadrian's Wall (terrible admission for an Englishman!) -- thanks for the information, a very nice page.

• Jan 13, 2005 at 2:16 PM

Great Pictures.. I am really fascinated by Hadrian's Wall too. I cant wait to see it..

• basstbn's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2004 at 4:06 PM

Very nice page, Laura. I look forward to visiting this area some day, and appreciate your pix and info.

• jrs1234's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2003 at 2:51 PM

Hadrian's Wall is a great place! Long time since I've been though - glad you enjoyed your visit.

• mht_in_la's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2003 at 8:45 PM

Hmm... hiking Hadrian's Wall from end to end. It'll probably take a few days. Sounds fun. It's in my wish list now. Thanks for sharing.

• tessy's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2003 at 12:52 PM

Hiking along Hadrian's Wall, super! Beautiful pics again!

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2003 at 4:42 PM

Wonderful page Laura! Always hoping to do a similar trip! Hadrian's Wall has always fascinated me!

• londonlover's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2003 at 8:09 PM

What a cool, history-filled landmark! Wish I had seen it when I was briefly in Northumberland.

• jide08's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2003 at 11:36 AM

Nice travel. I want to see the wall too. I'm hoping to do it next year. Knowing a bit of history and having read Julius Caesar's own War of Gauls, I'm really wondering who were the barbarians...

• shdw100's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2003 at 4:49 AM

I love history and this looks like a great place to do some history exploring. Great photos and information, and why shouldn't Susan read the map?

hayward68

“I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away”

Badges & Stats in Northumberland

Have you been to Northumberland?

Latest Activity in Northumberland