"Welcome to my World!!!" hayward68's Profile

Latest trip Tanzania and Kenya, Feb 2009

Have mostly completed my Tanzania and Moshi pages. Also done are Mombasa and Tiwi. Tiwi was a great chillout place after my Kilimanjaro climb and safari in Feb 2009.

My Kilimanjaro National Park page is completed! Hope you enjoy reading about my trek along the Lemosho route on Kilimanjaro.

It's done!! I've finally completed my Mongolia page but have yet to start the Ulaanbaatar page.

Tidbits of what I've been up to....

Some of my pages are from an earlier version of VT and I've not been back to update and improve them. Some are also early attempts, which, quite frankly, really do need to be improved. I apologize for these pages ;-) Hope you enjoy them anyway :-)

Also finally added some pics from my bout with the Winter Bomb of 2004in Nova Scotia this past February. You'll find these in a travelogue on my Shelburne page.
%s*

+++++++++++++++++++++

Latest Trips:
Oct 9-14 2003 Southern California, stayed in Oceanside. Attended fantastic VT meeting in Carlsbad on Oct 11 2003 See Carlsbad page for more pics!

Dec 7-14 2003 Punta Cana, Dominican Republic with 5 friends from work :-) We arrived as Tropical Storm Odette was leaving, strong winds and bit of cloud first couple of days but then the sun came out to play :-)

Feb 18-24 2004 Nova Scotia, Visited my Mum, stepfather, brother and his family during the worst snowstorm since 1944! Oh my God, the amount of snow! See Shelburne link above.

April 8-19 2004 UK Attended Deus_Ultima and NickiE's wedding party in Wales (ooh, the hangover!), visited with friends and family, thanks to Sandysmith, Ayers_rock_where and Geoff_Wright for the fun!
Spent a great week in Cornwall, the sun even shone!! :-)

Sept 17-29, 2004
Made it to (big surprise) England in September for a week in the Lake District with my VT friends Steven and Susan Tilly. Had a wonderful time hiking the fells, managed to do Scafell Pike one day, my poor lungs gasping all the way, though not as badly as the first hike (I was so out of shape) ;-)
Then down to London for a few days with a quick visit with Edwinadolly and her hubby for a shopping trip. The lovely people even took me off to Reading when I couldn't find anything to buy!

April 13 - May 7, 2005
Took my first trip to Asia! Spent two weeks in Mongolia travelling around the countryside and visiting with nomadic families, quite an adventure. We also spent a week in China, in Beijing and Shanghai. Stay tuned for pages from this trip

May 11-24 2006 - oh well, decided to go back to the tried and true, just can't stay away from the UK. Hooked up with some friends and family, visited Norfolk for the first time since I was 3 (Hayward territory) Had a great time wandering around with cousins on my Dad's side of the family. Also attended a great VT meet in London, thanks JulesH for organizing it!

May 24-June 2, 2007 - Nova Scotia to visit family.

June 16-19, 2007 - Las Vegas with a bunch of friends from work. Holy Hannah it was hot! Though the dry 40 Celcius was better than a humid 40 Celcius. Fantastic trip!

Jan 29-Feb 5, 2008 - Tambor, Costa Rica with a friend. Hot sun, lots of surf and monkeys in the trees. Wonderful time on my second visit to Costa Rica.

Jan 31 - Feb 25, 2009 - Kilimanjaro trek, Lemosho route, with combined with a short safari, did Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti and Tarangire. Then spent 4 restful days, after a long and dusty bus ride to Mombasa, at Tiwi beach in Kenya.

Sept 16-20, 2009 Las Vegas, Nevada - To see Cheap Trick perform the Beatles Sgt Pepper album at the Hilton

Feb 9-Mar 2, 2010 Vancouver, BC for work covering the Vancouver Olympics

April 2010 Antigua for a week at St James Club, it was so relaxing after working non-stop during the Olympics.

Trips Being Planned

Sadly, nothing being planned, though a trip to Nova Scotia might happen again in summer 2011

Please Do Not Make Your Pages Directly From Lonely Planet or Other Guidebooks! It's Called Plagiarism and It's Illegal!!
I'd Much Rather Read Someone's Personal Experiences, I Can Buy Lonely Planet If I Want to Read Lonely Planet!

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time
Through the unknown, remembered gate
When the last of earth left to discover
Is that which was the beginning
T.S. Eliot

Looking For Work

I would love to live in the UK, somewhere on the coast or at least near it would be idea but who knows if it will ever happen. At least my dual citizenship will allow me do this if I wish ;-)

My Life So Far

A little about me, I was born in Cornwall, England, my Dad was in the Royal Navy, and we moved to Canada when I was three. I've been back on many occasions and have loved meeting all my family members. I currently work in television news.

Please help the less fortunate in the world. I sponser two children with World Vision
One young boy in Nicaragua and another in Tanzania. I hope to visit both at some point

My pages are all places I have actually been to, I won't do a page on somewhere if I've never been there. I prefer to read pages that a person has really visited, unless you've personal experience of a place I don't think you should do a page on that city or country. Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now ;-)

Family History Research

I'm very interested in researching my family history and have managed to find bits and pieces through hard work and some luck. The luck being I've been contacted by relatives who have found me through geneological websites.
The names I'm researching are:
Dad's side -
Hayward (from Norfolk, England) Hmm, have found out that my Hayward ancestors were Basketmakers in Norwich in the early 1800s. I knew I was a basketcase, now I can say it's hereditary! ;-)
George (from Norfolk)
Easey (Suffolk, England)
Fisher (Costessey, Norfolk)
Bullen (Suffolk, England -seems all the Bullens are distantly related at some point to Ann Boleyn! That's according to Frank Bullen who was tracing his family history. He says "The name goes back to the Counts of Boulogne, of Ardennes and of Flanders, in the 10th Century and, since they were a very powerful family of Frankish Royal descent, through them, to Charlemagne, (crowned Holy Roman Emperor in A.D.800)." Not a bad lineage huh? ;-)
Seales (Norfolk, England)

Mum's side -
Preen (Surrey & Buckinghamshire, England)
Trappitt (Surrey, England)
Cull (Surrey, England)
Steadman(Surrey, England)
Gambling(Wiltshire)
Rumble (Middlesex, Hertfordshire)
Charnock (Lancashire)

So, if you've any of those names and places in your family history, give me a shout :-)
My favourite genealogical sites for research are:
www.familysearch.org
www.genesreunited.co.uk (found many new relatives this way and have finally been able to expand the Hayward family tree, thanks for guiding me to it Steve!)
www.ancestry.com (was found by relatives on this site!)

• Intro Updated Oct 19, 2011

• alza's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Hi Laura, I came here to wish you a HB on the 21st and saw Spartan's pic, checked out his page for recent news etc., etc., and then who knows what happened... sorry I missed yr birthday. But was looking at new Reviews on VT just now & saw your excellent Review about Heathrow (good story about making your flight to Glasgow!) Glad it gave me the occasion to say hello. Let me know if you come Montréal's way, when Summer arrives... haha.

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2013 at 5:54 AM

Happy belated birthday Laura! I hope you are doing good and are enjoying life!!

• hayward68's Profile Photo
      Jun 29, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Thanks Simone! I'm well and hope that you are still enjoying life with that big smile of yours :-)

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Same as below, and hope you are getting some of the sunse are getting here.

• Babcia's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Happy Happy Birthday!!! Hope it was a good one !!! :)

• spartan's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Hi Laura...wishing you a very Happy Birthday!!!

• CdnJane's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Happy Birthday, Laura - wishing you a great day!

• Marie-France's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Happy Birthday Laura! Are you still in Toronto?

• DEY's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2013 at 7:04 AM

I wanted to wish you a happy birthday! I hope it was a great day.

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2013 at 4:48 AM

Happy Birthday

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2013 at 4:47 AM

Hello again Laura, just dropping by to wish you a very happy birthday and a great year to come. fergy.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
hayward68's Profile Photo

hayward68

“I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away”

Real Name