"Grenada Isle of Spice" Grenada by JeanCooke
Grenada Travel Guide: 376 reviews and 1,045 photos
Joan Lee above St. George that surrounds a harbor.
Grenada is the furthest south in the group of islands comprising the Lesser Antilles, and one of four known as the Windward Islands. Grenada has been famed throughout history for the abundance and excellance of its spices.
Nutmeg is Grenada's main export. I still use their nutmeg scraped into recipes--fresh is the best. Nutmeg trees were first planted in 1843 and thrive on the island's climate and soil. The crop is continuous year round. The fruit is round and yellow. When mature, this splits in half and a dark brown shell can be seen covered with a vivid red lacy membrane--mace.
Other island spices; allspice, bay leaf, black pepper, chili, cinnamon, clove, ginger, tumeric and vanilla. These make perfect gifts, are much cheaper and fresher than bottles of spices in the States and can be bought in St. George or in shacks by the roadside.
PLEASE GO TO MY TRAVELOGUE FOR BEAUTIFUL ISLANDS AND ADVENTURES
Bonus is view of islands from the air. This is St. Vincent. LIAT, the 'Caribbean Airline' can arrive early and take off... more travel advice
The luxery of lunch cooked and served to us. Out of 6 of us, none had ever been on a sailboat. Chatering was a new and... more travel advice
JeanCooke's Related Pages
Grenada Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "IT'S COOL"
- "Nutmeg, Rum, Hurricanes and Ronald Reagan"
- "Henrik's Grenada-page"
- "The spice island"
- "Grenada - The Spice Island"
- "Grenada - In One Day!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grenada
- Hotels in Grenada
- Transportation in Grenada
- Nightlife in Grenada
- Restaurants in Grenada
- Shopping in Grenada
- Warnings and Dangers in Grenada
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grenada
- 4 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Grenada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grenada
Top 10 Pages
- Nepal Intro, 19 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- Slovenia Intro, 25 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- U. S. Virgin Islands Intro, 11 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Big Sur Intro, 10 reviews, 23 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Petaluma Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bridgeport Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Venice Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Los Angeles Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Belmopan Intro, 9 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize City Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos