"Sharrie's Aomori Momiji" Top 5 Page for this destination Aomori by Sharrie
Aomori Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 84 photos
This was my 3rd Day in the Tohoku region. Tohoku essentially is made up of 6 prefectures north of Tokyo (Akita, Aomori, Iwate, Miyagi, Yamagata & Fukushima Pref.). Known for its numerous hot springs & national parks, Tohoku excels in natural beauty & picturesque rural areas in Spring & Autumn, incredibly colorful festivals in Summer & superb ski facilities in Winter. It's an area which still remains pretty undiscovered by tourists (including the Japanese).
I was in AOMORI for only one reason, & that is; to find the way (ie to take the bus) to Oirase & Towadako (Lake Towada). Aomori is the capital city of Honshu's Northeastern Prefecture as well as the nearest gateway to the beautiful & spectacular Fall sceneries of Lake Towada, Oirase Gorge, Hakkoda mountains (+ hot spring spas), Cape Tappizaki & Mt. Osore. Aomori is also the apple capital of Japan.
FACTS ABOUT AOROMI PREFECTURE
Area: 9,606 sq. km.
Prefectural Flower: Apple.
Prefectural Wood: Hiba arborvitae.
Prefectural Bird: Swan.
Main Events: Aomori Nebuta, Osorezan Festival.
ATTRACTIONS OF AOMORI
Triangular-shaped historic monument which displays tourism, industry & local products.
Munakata Shiko Memorial Museum of Art:
Wood-block prints & wall paintings.
Hirosaki Castle Park in Hirosaki
(35 mins train SW of Aomori).
A beautiful crater lake (3rd largest in Japan). Pleasure boats ply between Nenokuchi & Yasumiya.
"Maiden by the lake", a bronze statue made by famous poet & sculptor, Kotaro Takamura, is symbol of the lake.
Bus from Aomori.
2 hrs 30 mins by bus from Aomori.
Natural treasure created by waterfalls, rapids, rocks & lush greenery.
2.5 hr hike from Ishigedo to Nenokuchi.
Natural wonderland with lakes, marshy plains & hot-spring spas.
Take bus from Aomori (1 hr) to Hakkoda Ropeway which takes one to the 1324 m high Mt. Tamoyachidake (10 mins). Also, 25 mins by bus to Sukayu Spa leading to Ishegedo.
HAKKODA MOUNTAINS: A really cool place with lots of onsen & ski resorts. Hakkoda was a little foggy on the day I passed... more travel advice
Wonder... what are being planted here? I noticed stretches of these while on the JR train enroute to Aomori. more travel advice
Sharrie's Related Pages
Aomori Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "TRAVEL to ancient JAPAN"
- "Sharrie's Aomori Momiji"
- "BellaMora's Aomori Page"
- "Aomori ?@?Â?X"
- "Aomori, the northern terminus of the Shinkansen"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aomori
- Hotels in Aomori
- Transportation in Aomori
- Restaurants in Aomori
- Warnings and Dangers in Aomori
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Aomori
- 29 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Aomori?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aomori
Photos in AomoriSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 182 reviews, 185 photos
- Vienna Intro, 141 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 107 reviews, 142 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tokyo-to Intro, 90 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 109 reviews, 109 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 90 reviews, 91 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 89 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambodia Intro, 82 reviews, 83 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 79 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manhattan Beach Intro, 61 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues