"Sharrie's Kagoshima Lava" Top 5 Page for this destination Kagoshima by Sharrie
Kagoshima Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 70 photos
KYUSHU is the southern-most island of Japan. Hokkaido being at the northern tip & Honshu is the mainland. Shikoku is the smallest island, west of Kyushu. In the 4th century, Kyushu was infiltrated by the Chinese & Korea culture (including the influence of Buddhism & Chinese writing). Later, in 16th century, emissaries & merchants from Spain, Portugal & Holland introduced Christianity & firearms through cities like Nagasaki & Kumamoto. Due to its geographical location & historical influences, Kyushu feels more foreign than any other parts of conventional Japan.
The island of Kyushu is on the RING OF FIRE. Volcanic activity can be observed & all residents are very well equipped & trained in dealing with such emergencies, including children aging from 3 years onwards.
KAGOSHIMA is one such area where SAKURAJIMA, the active volcano which still belches ash daily. Sakurajima is at the southern tip of the island Kyushu and one such dramatic eruption in 1914 has left 3 billion tons (yep, 3 BILLION!) of lava on the strait thereby joining the island to the mainland Kyushu. When we arrived at Kagoshima, we actually stayed in a resort with full facilities, ie., hot springs & sandbaths (as pictured). I tried both & they are very relaxing. Sandbaths can be boiling hot if you were covered for more than 15 mins. But, we were told that it is therapeutic by nature & is extremely helpful for those with rheumatism & arthritis! Guess, it's good for some to retire here ;-)
Country Code: 81
Yellow Pages: Itp.ne.jp
Newspaper: Asahi Shimbun
These Hakata dolls can only be found in Kyushu. They are very cheap & make nice art pieces... only trouble is: very... more travel advice
Didn't see any Pachinko here (Japanese style pinball machines) but these are pretty fun for a change... You should... more travel advice
Sharrie's Related Pages
Kagoshima Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kagoshima ,Nagasaki n few days in Fukouka"
- "Warm and friendly Kagoshima"
- "Sharrie's Kagoshima Lava"
- "ballball's new Kagoshima Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kagoshima
- Hotels in Kagoshima
- Transportation in Kagoshima
- Nightlife in Kagoshima
- Restaurants in Kagoshima
- Shopping in Kagoshima
- Warnings and Dangers in Kagoshima
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kagoshima
- 18 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Kagoshima?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kagoshima
Photos in KagoshimaSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 182 reviews, 185 photos
- Vienna Intro, 141 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 107 reviews, 142 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tokyo-to Intro, 90 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 109 reviews, 109 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 90 reviews, 91 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 89 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambodia Intro, 82 reviews, 83 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 79 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manhattan Beach Intro, 61 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues