"Sharrie's Morioka Fall" Morioka by Sharrie
Morioka Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 21 photos
MORIOKA was where I based myself for 3 nights on my Tohoku trip. From Morioka I went on day trips to the Akita & Aomori Prefecture. For the first 3 days of my stay in Morioka, I (more or less) just traveled from the hotel to Morioka Station. It was not until the 4th day that I actually ventured & explored the city of Morioka. And on a sunny morning I discovered the enchantment of this 400-year old castle town. It was this 4-hour walk in the city that I finally got a glimpse of its historical past.
Morioka was founded toward the end of the 16th century when the 26th Lord of Nambu, Nobunao, began construction of both the town & castle. From the founding date, through the Meiji, Taisho & Showa & Heisei eras, Morioka has been a center of political, economic & cultural activity for Iwate Prefecture. Morioka, with its abundance of nature, many historical spots, castle grounds & numerous temples, has been called "Small Kyoto of Northern Japan". So, now you get an idea of how beautiful this city is?!
Facts about Iwate Prefecture
Area: 15,278 sq. km.
Prefectural Flower: Paulownia.
Prefectural Wood: Nanbu red pine.
Prefectural Bird: Pheasant.
Main Events: Hanamaki Festival, Kamaishi Festival.
A bridal salon which I came across while walking around the city. Getting married is a big occassion in Japan. Some... more travel advice
Try this mode of transportation in Tohoku. This is one area where I found bicycles to be so popular that huge parking... more travel advice
Sharrie's Related Pages
Morioka Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Morioka
- Transportation in Morioka
- Nightlife in Morioka
- Restaurants in Morioka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Morioka
- 17 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Morioka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Morioka
Photos in MoriokaSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 182 reviews, 185 photos
- Vienna Intro, 141 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 107 reviews, 142 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tokyo-to Intro, 90 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 109 reviews, 109 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 90 reviews, 91 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 89 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambodia Intro, 82 reviews, 83 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 79 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manhattan Beach Intro, 61 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues