"Sharrie's Egypt Enchantment" Egypt by Sharrie

Egypt Travel Guide: 16,112 reviews and 41,014 photos

Yeah! Hooray! I've finally arrived!!!

EGYPT - the ancient civilization which I've seen (on TV) & read so much about. A civilization that's as powerful & as enticing as China's. Thanks to Hollywood & Liz Taylor, I've long had this image of Cleopatra & the elaborate sets that made up Egypt! It's one of those things in life where you'd carry a larger than life picture of the unreachable destination & unphantomable lifestyle...

Egypt is in Africa, a continent that as a single traveler, deemed to be unsafe. But, in 1998, the cartoon movie 'Prince of Egypt' impressed me so much with its many beautiful scenes & passionate songs; all this built up to a crescendo! I simply have to visit this foreign land soon, very soon... (counting the days & nights :-))

After having been to the Grand Canyon (so far, my most favorite wonder), Niagara Falls, Borobudur Temple, Pisa Tower; Egypt where the Sphinx & Great Pyramids are located naturally were on my list my next destination.

And, am I glad that I came. It was GREAT! Not so much the Sphinx itself but rather the civilization that built it. More than 4000 years ago (40 is way too long for me to phantom as it is...) with no machinery. Those people were actually building them manually. Imagine that!!!!!

Facts about Egypt
Capital: Cairo.
Area: 1,001,450 sq km.
Population: 68.36 million.
Language: Arabic.
National Holiday: Anniversary of Revolution, Jul. 23 (1952).
GDP Per Capita (PPP): US$5800.
Currency: Egyptian Pound = 100 piasters.

Web Resources

• Last visit to Egypt: Dec 1998
  • Intro Updated Dec 19, 2009

• vpas's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2009 at 12:40 AM

have always been fascinated with Egypt.would love to go there one day with my family.thanks for your great tips,

• GinaNY's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2007 at 12:59 PM

Can I be you for a week? You've been so blessed with traveling!

• muddybok's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2004 at 3:32 AM

Hi Sharrie, you have great Egypt page. Useful tips for Luxor & other temples. ;-)

• Gwynneth's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2004 at 10:25 PM

Love conquers all... indeed! Love your photography! Good luck with your VT meet in India! Wish I could be there! Greetings from Australia and me!

• Canadienne's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2003 at 1:11 PM

Beautiful page on Egypt! You have wonderful photos! Your page makes me want to visit again!

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2003 at 2:44 AM

Oliver, u owe me a Slovenia trip! & that's a year ago! U are lucky I'm not in Vienna right now, otherwise... hehe...

• socrates_07's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2003 at 2:36 AM

The Great Pyramids of Giza, The Sphinx, the Cairo Egyptian Museum, Luxor, Abu Simbel... I think I should postpone my Slovenia trip, LOL....

• Rawabi's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2003 at 9:17 PM

you're right.. Egypt is a very beautiful place... nice photos

• filipdebont's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2003 at 9:19 AM

Magnificent page, Sharrie, great memories come back, I am only missing the dry hot wind

• mafootje's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2003 at 3:37 AM

I always wonder how to pronounce those names right

Badges & Stats in Egypt