"Sharrie's Turkey Heritage" Turkey by Sharrie

Turkey Travel Guide: 24,931 reviews and 72,268 photos

My trip to TURKEY has to be one of the most unplanned trips in the recent years. Basically, nothing planned since I joined a tour at the very last minute. No hotel reservations, no map readings & no visa needed. Just some prior reading of the most amazing civilization (trust me, u need to read quite a bit to understand & enjoy the trip) & packing up my bags & off I went! Boy, it was an unexpected great adventure! Amazing, gorgeous & most intriguing country! I'll be back in the future for an indepth exploration. For now, please enjoy Turkey as much as I had. Perhaps you might be tempted to visit as well :-)

TURKEY! Ahhhh, forget about the name "turkey"; it doesn't convey a sense of wonder which this country has a right to. I mean, come on, turkey? I went while the Americans were having their turkeys at home on Thanksgiving day!!! How great can that be, right? ;-) Think instead of ASIA MINOR or TURKIYE or the saying "brave as a Turk"! Now that's something to think about. Or if that's not dramatic enough, how about these.

Do you know that Virgin Mary is buried here? Do you know that St. Paul & St. Nicholas were borned in this area? Well, may be you did, but I didn't & I was hopeless in history when I was in school ;-) I still am, lol.. For the latest finding, I was told Virgin Mary's tomb has been found somewhere near the House of Virgin Mary in Selcuk & the archaelogists are planning to excavate it next year! How's that for news???

If that's not enough for you, how about exotic spices, belle-dancing (oops, or is it belly-dancing?), Turkish baths & whirling dervishes? Or silk carpets, potteries & kilims? Are you enchanted yet?!

Facts About Turkey
Capital: Ankara.
Area: 770,760 sq km.
Population: 67.30 million.
Language: Turkish, Kurdish, Arabic, Armenian, Greek.
National Holiday: Independence Day, 29 October (1923) .
GDP Per Capita: US$11,900.
Currency: Turkish Lira (TRY).

Web Resources
Map: Lonely Planet Map

• Last visit to Turkey: Nov 2002
  • Intro Updated Dec 18, 2009

Sharrie

“Feed that hunger, hike that mountain!”

Badges & Stats in Turkey