"Sharrie's Turkey Heritage" Turkey by Sharrie
Turkey Travel Guide: 24,931 reviews and 72,268 photos
My trip to TURKEY has to be one of the most unplanned trips in the recent years. Basically, nothing planned since I joined a tour at the very last minute. No hotel reservations, no map readings & no visa needed. Just some prior reading of the most amazing civilization (trust me, u need to read quite a bit to understand & enjoy the trip) & packing up my bags & off I went! Boy, it was an unexpected great adventure! Amazing, gorgeous & most intriguing country! I'll be back in the future for an indepth exploration. For now, please enjoy Turkey as much as I had. Perhaps you might be tempted to visit as well :-)
TURKEY! Ahhhh, forget about the name "turkey"; it doesn't convey a sense of wonder which this country has a right to. I mean, come on, turkey? I went while the Americans were having their turkeys at home on Thanksgiving day!!! How great can that be, right? ;-) Think instead of ASIA MINOR or TURKIYE or the saying "brave as a Turk"! Now that's something to think about. Or if that's not dramatic enough, how about these.
Do you know that Virgin Mary is buried here? Do you know that St. Paul & St. Nicholas were borned in this area? Well, may be you did, but I didn't & I was hopeless in history when I was in school ;-) I still am, lol.. For the latest finding, I was told Virgin Mary's tomb has been found somewhere near the House of Virgin Mary in Selcuk & the archaelogists are planning to excavate it next year! How's that for news???
If that's not enough for you, how about exotic spices, belle-dancing (oops, or is it belly-dancing?), Turkish baths & whirling dervishes? Or silk carpets, potteries & kilims? Are you enchanted yet?!
Facts About Turkey
Area: 770,760 sq km.
Population: 67.30 million.
Language: Turkish, Kurdish, Arabic, Armenian, Greek.
National Holiday: Independence Day, 29 October (1923) .
GDP Per Capita: US$11,900.
Currency: Turkish Lira (TRY).
National Anthem: T?rkiye Cumhuriyeti
CIA World Factbook: Year 2009
Online Travel Guide: Columbus World Travel Guide
Online Destination Guide: LonelyPlanet.com
Map: Lonely Planet Map
For the ladies, a scarf or shawl to cover the head when entering the mosques. more travel advice
DOLMABAHCE CAMII is a prominent landmark on the European shore of the lower Bosphorus. It's very near to where we... more travel advice
- See All 1st Stop - Istanbul
- See All Leather
- See All Let's party!
- See All Under construction
Sharrie's Related Pages
Turkey Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Turkey - a travell from east to west"
- "DID YOU KNOW THAT ?"
- "My Turkey - real and virtual"
- "Turkey's Magnificent Riviera"
- "Travels in Turkey"
- "Turkey: Spans Both Europe and Asia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Turkey
- Hotels in Turkey
- Transportation in Turkey
- Nightlife in Turkey
- Restaurants in Turkey
- Shopping in Turkey
- Warnings and Dangers in Turkey
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Turkey
- 227 Reviews
- 268 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 6 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Turkey?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Turkey
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 182 reviews, 185 photos
- Vienna Intro, 141 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 107 reviews, 142 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tokyo-to Intro, 90 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 109 reviews, 109 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 90 reviews, 91 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 89 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambodia Intro, 82 reviews, 83 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 79 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manhattan Beach Intro, 61 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues