"Sharrie's Athens Spirit" Athens by Sharrie

Athens Travel Guide: 4,469 reviews and 10,228 photos

ATHENS is chaotic; in terms of aesthetics, it's best if I just keep my mouth shut, lol... Strangely, it feels like my Indonesian hometown. Terrible traffic (in other words, amazing drivers who certainly know how to navigate, for that I salute them ;-)), dusty & hot! That's perfectly ok since it feels very much like home. This is my kinda territory, haha!

So, now, I've to be extra sensible about what I'm writing here :-))) ... too many VTers from Athens whom I've met in the course of my travels are reading this ... & God forbids if I don't get my share of homecook meals from Andreas on my next visit! ... Yeah, that's my salvation ;-)

Now, I've met some of the most charming people from this city. Walking around Plaka (though touristy) is a wonderful experience. People actually sees you. You know what I mean ... they see with their eyes & they take an interest in where you are coming from ... not once trying to sell you anything. I feel welcome, truly welcome, in a chaotic land! & that feels good :-) As for the men, they are charming... smiling with their eyes... Now, I'm envious of all the ladies here! Oh well, I'll be back!!! May be I may find my prince charming here afterall. I certainly found a charming version of Tom Cruise in Santorini & he said he's originally from Athens! That's food for thoughts ;-) & for those of you who are wondering, his name is Thanos!

As for the ladies, just look at some of those you can find here on VT, need I say more? ;-) Thanks to Irene for her warm hospitality & for showing me around.

Oh, I almost forgot, if I don't mention his name, he's gonna kill me for sure! Well, he's not Greek but he has been helpful in his very own way ;-) Thanks, Ivan & have a safe trip home!

• Last visit to Athens: May 2003
  • Intro Updated May 20, 2003

• Confucius's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2006 at 11:53 PM

Time to dust off Sharrie's Athens tips. Nobody has been here for 3 years? I'm going to Athens for Easter, and shall be staying at the Royal Olympic Hotel!

• SirRichard's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2003 at 12:48 AM

I loved those General Tips, Sharrie... very human, indeed! :-))

• socrates_07's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2003 at 2:03 AM

Does it mean you have the Acropolis and the Plaka in your Indonesian hometown as well... ;-)

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2003 at 5:40 PM

What an amazing page. Your tips are superb and you really have captured the flavour of Athens in your pictures.

• MITNIC's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2003 at 1:06 AM

I knew It! No chance to disappoint me...Magnificent photos! excellent portrait in words!

• manuelEB's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2003 at 10:49 PM

I've seen Pallas Athena making a call from a ppublic telephone. She is -no doubt at all- the Goddess of Wisdom.

• May 25, 2003 at 6:51 AM

9 times... way too much. Those are the Wonderful multiculoured Athenian Frisbees... they were used in the First Olympics. Almighty? AHAHAHHA

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo
    May 24, 2003 at 10:48 PM

Sharrie, was he keeping the plants cool or getting the grapes ready for harvest?? You've done a wonderful job with Athens, they should adopt you as one of their own....You were super lucky to meet such wonderful people there.

• scrooge1947's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2003 at 1:30 PM

This is my second visit to these pages and now they are completed, it was well worth the visit.

• jjasmine's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2003 at 10:22 AM

Hey dear,, it's really cute for the lovely girl talking in phone with smile,,you caught it..Nice.

Sharrie

“Feed that hunger, hike that mountain!”

Badges & Stats in Athens