"Sharrie's Cambodia Dignity" Top 5 Page for this destination Cambodia by Sharrie
Cambodia Travel Guide: 8,739 reviews and 24,539 photos
CAMBODIA - ravaged by 20 years of civil wars & brutality unimaginable by anyone, it's a country where a great civilisation once ruled. Both worlds no longer exist here & yet we see remnants of its devastation on the people of Cambodia. Children & adults alike suffer from the brutality of the Khmer Rouge where half the population (in the 70s, that's equivalent to 3+ millions of people; both adults & children) were massacred & tortured over a period of 5 years! Still, those who survived had their limbs amputated after stepping onto the millions of landmines planted all across the country. Sounds depressing? Well, for majority of us, pains are only inflicted if something unfortunate happened to our loved ones or close friends & relatives. Yet, what about others who had been forgotten by the world at large & yet still struggling to survive? I ask myself these questions & yet am afraid to learn about the answers. It's here that one discovers how weak one could be if one is subjected to the same condition. It's also here that I find hopes, in children who have no idea about what computer games or electronic toys are & yet find so much happiness with just a couple of candies & a few cents. Ignorance is bliss indeed!
Facts about Cambodia
Capital: Phnom Penh.
Area: 176,520 sq. km.
Languages: Khmer (official) 95%, French, English.
National Holiday: Independence Day, 9 November (1953).
GDP Per Capita: US$2000.
Currency: riel (KHR).
National Anthem: Anthem
Country Code: 855
Newspaper: The Cambodia Daily
CIA World Factbook: Year 2009
Online Travel Guide: WorldTravelGuide.Net
Cambodia Destination Guide: Lonely Planet World Guide
Map of Cambodia: Lonelyplanet.com
A visit to Udong revealed people who are probably not living in the same era as most of us. Very relaxed. No stress. No... more travel advice
Check this photo out in its full version. Otherwise, you ain't see nothing. Same applies to discovering Cambodia.... more travel advice
- See All Angkor Wat
- See All THE Gruesome Past!
- See All Casino
- See All Art of Puppetery making
Sharrie's Related Pages
Cambodia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MORE THAN JUST THE ANGKOR TEMPLES"
- "The country of Angkor"
- "Angkor Archeological Park, Cambodia"
- "Sharrie's Cambodia Dignity"
- "Cambodia 2002"
- "Ancient temples and smiling Khmers"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cambodia
- Hotels in Cambodia
- Transportation in Cambodia
- Nightlife in Cambodia
- Restaurants in Cambodia
- Shopping in Cambodia
- Warnings and Dangers in Cambodia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cambodia
- 162 Reviews
- 167 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Cambodia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cambodia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 182 reviews, 185 photos
- Vienna Intro, 141 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 107 reviews, 142 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tokyo-to Intro, 90 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 109 reviews, 109 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 90 reviews, 91 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 89 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambodia Intro, 82 reviews, 83 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 79 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manhattan Beach Intro, 61 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues