"Sharrie's Cambodia Dignity" Top 5 Page for this destination Cambodia by Sharrie

Cambodia Travel Guide: 8,727 reviews and 24,488 photos

CAMBODIA - ravaged by 20 years of civil wars & brutality unimaginable by anyone, it's a country where a great civilisation once ruled. Both worlds no longer exist here & yet we see remnants of its devastation on the people of Cambodia. Children & adults alike suffer from the brutality of the Khmer Rouge where half the population (in the 70s, that's equivalent to 3+ millions of people; both adults & children) were massacred & tortured over a period of 5 years! Still, those who survived had their limbs amputated after stepping onto the millions of landmines planted all across the country. Sounds depressing? Well, for majority of us, pains are only inflicted if something unfortunate happened to our loved ones or close friends & relatives. Yet, what about others who had been forgotten by the world at large & yet still struggling to survive? I ask myself these questions & yet am afraid to learn about the answers. It's here that one discovers how weak one could be if one is subjected to the same condition. It's also here that I find hopes, in children who have no idea about what computer games or electronic toys are & yet find so much happiness with just a couple of candies & a few cents. Ignorance is bliss indeed!

Facts about Cambodia
Capital: Phnom Penh.
Area: 176,520 sq. km.
Population: 12,775,324.
Languages: Khmer (official) 95%, French, English.
National Holiday: Independence Day, 9 November (1953).
GDP Per Capita: US$2000.

• Last visit to Cambodia: Jan 2003
  • Intro Updated Dec 18, 2009

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2010 at 11:07 AM

great page, brings back some really good memories.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2009 at 1:36 AM

Cambodia Angkor Wat - definitely a must see! It's amazing that kid is not scared of heights! I'm terrified of heights...and I would love to take a jumping pic beside the phallic stone monument, hehehe...Norman :)

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2007 at 9:05 AM

Hi Sharrie, Left you a few ratings for your great tips and some wonderful photos, Thanks

• Cathy&Gary's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2006 at 3:50 AM

So many helpful tips, I love the way you express yourself. Cheers Cathy

• Sarah97's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2006 at 1:36 PM

Long time not been in VT! I am at Singapore Airport to Siem Reap for 3 days! Good tips! U have been most of the places where I want to go! =) Are you in Sing? Then we can meet one day since I will be here upto mid April! Let me know by mail~

• muddybok's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2004 at 10:27 PM

Your Cambodia page make everyone else's looks ordinary. Great page!

• Hmmmm's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2003 at 3:29 AM

I am about to work on my Cambodia page, but what a benchmark you have set. Great page.. A multitude of tips. Thanks for the visit down memory lane. Cheers Aaron

• LotusV8's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2003 at 11:41 AM

Thank´s for all info! they will sure help me during my trip 27/1-04. Very nice job here! You must have spent a couple of months creating this amzing pages! Best wishes! Per

• syllybabe's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2003 at 5:25 AM

Sharrie, thanks for leading me to this page. I love the pics and your tips are a great help in planning this upcoming trip. :-)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2003 at 2:02 PM

Loved your two restaurant tips, but would love to hear more about the food. :=) Pictures have me wanting to go even more now. Thanks Sharrie

Sharrie

“Feed that hunger, hike that mountain!”

Badges & Stats in Cambodia

Have you been to Cambodia?

Latest Activity in Cambodia