"Sharrie's Abu Simbel Sensor" Temple of Abu Simbel by Sharrie
Temple of Abu Simbel Travel Guide: 266 reviews and 919 photos
TEMPLE OF ABU SIMBEL is sensational! It lies about 175 miles from Aswan after the Egyptian government undertook a major reconstruction (in association with UNESCO) in 1968 & moved the two speos of Ramesses II & Nefertari to the current site. The gigantic rock was cut into sections, dismantled & then reconstructed on the summit of the Libyan mountains which overlooks the Nile River.
Now, to get an idea of perspective. The southern speos with a facade of 4 colossal statues of Ramesses II measures 108 ft high & 125 ft wide. The main reason why this has to be moved to higher ground was because of flooding caused by the building of Aswan High Dam. The original site is now submerged.
Another interesting fact that made this move more scientific than it actually is can be found in the "local custom tips" section of this page. Please check it out if you are interested in finding out the answer.
Essentially, there are 2 main temples at the Temples of Abu Simbel. 1) Temple of Ramesses II. 2) Temple of Nefertari.... more travel advice
Sharrie's Related Pages
Temple of Abu Simbel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Went back to Egypt in May 2005"
- "Abu Simbel Temples"
- "Thank you all, who shared in saving our heritage"
- "Temple of Abu Simbel"
- "The Amazing Temples of Abu Simbel"
- "Abu Simbel--Warning Sign to the Nubian South"
- "Abu Simbel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Hotels in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Transportation in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Nightlife in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Restaurants in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Shopping in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Warnings and Dangers in Temple of Abu Simbel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Temple of Abu Simbel
- 9 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Temple of Abu Simbel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Temple of Abu Simbel
Photos in Temple of Abu SimbelSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 182 reviews, 185 photos
- Vienna Intro, 141 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 107 reviews, 142 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tokyo-to Intro, 90 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 109 reviews, 109 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 90 reviews, 91 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 89 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambodia Intro, 82 reviews, 83 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 79 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manhattan Beach Intro, 61 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues