"Sharrie's Paris Revisited" Paris by Sharrie

Paris Travel Guide: 22,831 reviews and 56,619 photos

Long absence makes the heart fonder...

I was here long time ago in Autumn. Probably the only one person who didn't like Paris on 1st sight.

Next Visit: May 2003. Paris in Spring... or is it Summer already? Well, felt like Spring is in the air. Lovely lovely Paris. The perfect rhapsody, the perfect weather & the perfect mood. P E R F E C T !!! Even the Metro strikes couldn't take the delight away. What more can I say? I'm falling in love with Paris & I'll be back !!!

Written 2001

Imagine this: Flight from San Francisco to New York. Long? Not long enough to have a good sleep, no great sceneries to marvel at (too high an altitude), just a clear sky, no bumpy ride to be excited about, no good food to devour (somehow that characterises the American domestic flights) & the movie is not worth mentionining about. Bored, sure I was!

This happened 2 years ago. I was seated next to an American lady (age: about 40+) who was kept busy with her writing. Almost 2 hours into the flight time & I was just too curious to keep my mouth shut. Couldn't help it but noticed that she was writing a manuscript. So I started to chat. She needed a break and was kind enough to be sociable. Found out that she's an aspiring author & had lived in Paris for 4 years. Hm, I thought... Paris for so long?! The last time I was there, well, I wasn't that fascinated. Sure, Paris is fashionable, grand, dynamic & artistic. But, it's very costly and not a very friendly city (in my opinion) too. I mean I've not experienced the warmth of the Parisian & felt that they were quite aloof to tourists & strangers; unlike the Italians, Spanish & Swiss. I guess the very fact that our mode of conversation with them is English does put some distance and strain to future alliances. Sadly, history sometimes does influence present behavior; though, it's no fault of ours. Having said this, Paris is an incredibly beautiful & well-planned city. Can't help but be amazed at the enduring beauty of its designs and architecture.

OK, back to the author. Of course, I've to find out the reasons that have kept her there all these years. According to her, to enjoy a prolonged stay in a country, one does have to speak its language. Being fluent in French, she was able to penetrate the walls & encounter the true Parisian spirit. Fascinated, I listened for the next hour her love for the city & was propelled into a maelstrom of literature, culture, art, cinema, fashion, gastronomy, ideas and philosophy. In other words, I was seduced into going back again. Wow! What a wild imagination & thrilling experience! In the mean tim-e, she has managed to reshape my memory of this grand, prestigious & romantic city. Not bad for an upcoming author at all!

Some Facts & Trivia
Parisians - 4% of total population, 45% of total income tax revenue. 45% live alone!
800,000 French regularly consult a psychiatrist (oh boy...)
20 million tourists per annum.
90% French women & 50% French men use perfume.
(Now, that's interesting ;-))

History
1163: Building starts on Notre-Dame.
1215: University of Paris founded.
1337-1453: 100 Years War between France & England.
1672: Louis XIV moves to Versailles.
1792: Monarchy abolished; proclamation of the Republic.
1793: Reign of Terror; Louis XVI beheaded.
1793: Inauguration of the Musee du Louvre.
1804: Napoleon Bonaparte crowned emperor.
1889: Eiffel Tower built for Exposition Universelle.
1908: Modernism born in Montmartre with Picasso.

• Last visit to Paris: May 2003
  • Intro Updated Apr 14, 2004

• eriksson977's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2010 at 5:05 AM

Paris is incredibly beautiful as illustrated from your outstanding images. Tomas Eriksson :)

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2009 at 10:06 PM

I have not seen this Gate to Hell! It looks awesome...and yes I am glad too it is never opened...Paris is one of my favorite cities and I enjoyed reading your insights...Great travels you've had!

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2008 at 9:06 AM

ITS A BEAUTIFUL VIEW OF PARIS. YOU SEEM TO LIKE PARIS BY NOW. I LIVED HERE FOR 10 YEARS AND I STILL ENJPOY OCCASIONAL VISIT HER.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2007 at 2:55 AM

Glad you didn't let the transit strike spoil your visit to Paris. (Personally I always rent a bicycle so I'm not dependent on public transport in any case.) I like your tips on the city's ambiance.

• wongjeweler's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2007 at 10:43 AM

It seems that you have been everywhere. You are truly blessed. I plan on reading your entire home page and hope to get some great ideas for my future trips. Good luck! Chris Wong

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2006 at 5:56 AM

Gr8 tips and pics.I bet you took a lot more photos than usual the day the Metro wasn't running, still I sometimes think it's better to just walk and discover the city on foot. Well a part of the city, but you get another insight into the places. Tim

• CALSF's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2004 at 6:48 PM

You've got a nice beginning to your Paris page-nice photos.

• frir's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2004 at 6:43 PM

Looks like a great place, I love Disney too!! it's just an amazing place. Great page again and beautiful pictures!!

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2004 at 12:03 PM

Very nice virtual promenade through my favorite city! Well done!

• fouads's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2003 at 6:00 PM

Great page of Paris , i like paris so much :-)

Sharrie

“Feed that hunger, hike that mountain!”

Badges & Stats in Paris