"Sharrie's Phnom Penh Noodles" Phnom Penh by Sharrie
Phnom Penh Travel Guide: 1,573 reviews and 4,177 photos
PHNOM PENH - famous for its noodles, especially in Vancouver & Toronto. That's where my impression of this city evolved which I've fond memories of. Though not where I was first introduced to the city. Remember the film "The Killing Fields"? Well, I don't recall much of the details but I can still recollect the brutality suffered by most of the Cambodians at the hands of the Khmer Rouge. This was where it all happened!
The media can be a very powerful force where one's sense of reality is concerned. Plagued by what I've seen of the 1984 movie, I have always avoided contemplating a visit to Cambodia even though it has one of the 7 wonders of the world. Even now, when I told friends & colleagues about a trip to Cambodia, all they said were why would I want to visit a country where there are so many landmines around & where civil war had stripped the people of the dignity of being a human? Why indeed? I don't know. All I know is if it's safe enough for others to visit on a tour, then I'm going. Strangely enough, it wasn't until I put it into my travel map on VT that I've managed to make it here successfully even though I've talked about visiting many times over the last couple of years.
Even more surprising, Phnom Penh isn't what I had envisioned at all. This capital of Cambodia looks so familiar that it's almost like home. I didn't have any feelings of danger or even the presence of evil spirits while I was here (even when I was visiting the killing fields). Trust me, I know what I'm talking about & I've had those feelings elsewhere before. Granted, it's not a beautiful sight but there are lots of other interesting sites to visit should you feel uncomfortable in visiting those places. Anyhow, I highly recommend this country & whoever have had thoughts about seeing this country, forget about your reservations & made a reservation with your airline instead :-)
Here we met some of the locals who had come to pray for their future & for their next generations. When one has been... more travel advice
Here's the verdict: The Very Best, even for the Hong Kong people... yes, this place is only frequented by travelers from... more travel advice
Sharrie's Related Pages
Phnom Penh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pardon Phnom Penh"
- "A City of Contrasts"
- "Phnom Penh Cambodia"
- "Phnom Penh"
- "Kingdom of Cambodia's Capitol City"
- "A stop on the way"
- "Once the Pearl of Asia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Phnom Penh
- Hotels in Phnom Penh
- Transportation in Phnom Penh
- Nightlife in Phnom Penh
- Restaurants in Phnom Penh
- Shopping in Phnom Penh
- Warnings and Dangers in Phnom Penh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Phnom Penh
- 31 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Phnom Penh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Phnom Penh
- updated a Phnom Penh Travel Page "Sharrie's Phnom Penh Noodles"
- Posted in Travel Beijing Forum "Re: How would you split these up..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Monivong Boulevard"
- Commented on one of DrewV's Phnom Penh travel pages
- Wrote a Review People of Cambodia - Tears for fears in Phnom Penh Things to Do
Photos in Phnom PenhSee All Photos (32)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antarctica Intro, 182 reviews, 185 photos
- Vienna Intro, 141 reviews, 189 photos, 5 travelogues
- Turkey Intro, 107 reviews, 142 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tokyo-to Intro, 90 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 109 reviews, 109 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 90 reviews, 91 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 89 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambodia Intro, 82 reviews, 83 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 79 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manhattan Beach Intro, 61 reviews, 97 photos, 5 travelogues