"Sharrie's Phnom Penh Noodles" Phnom Penh by Sharrie

Phnom Penh Travel Guide: 1,459 reviews and 3,835 photos

PHNOM PENH - famous for its noodles, especially in Vancouver & Toronto. That's where my impression of this city evolved which I've fond memories of. Though not where I was first introduced to the city. Remember the film "The Killing Fields"? Well, I don't recall much of the details but I can still recollect the brutality suffered by most of the Cambodians at the hands of the Khmer Rouge. This was where it all happened!

The media can be a very powerful force where one's sense of reality is concerned. Plagued by what I've seen of the 1984 movie, I have always avoided contemplating a visit to Cambodia even though it has one of the 7 wonders of the world. Even now, when I told friends & colleagues about a trip to Cambodia, all they said were why would I want to visit a country where there are so many landmines around & where civil war had stripped the people of the dignity of being a human? Why indeed? I don't know. All I know is if it's safe enough for others to visit on a tour, then I'm going. Strangely enough, it wasn't until I put it into my travel map on VT that I've managed to make it here successfully even though I've talked about visiting many times over the last couple of years.

Even more surprising, Phnom Penh isn't what I had envisioned at all. This capital of Cambodia looks so familiar that it's almost like home. I didn't have any feelings of danger or even the presence of evil spirits while I was here (even when I was visiting the killing fields). Trust me, I know what I'm talking about & I've had those feelings elsewhere before. Granted, it's not a beautiful sight but there are lots of other interesting sites to visit should you feel uncomfortable in visiting those places. Anyhow, I highly recommend this country & whoever have had thoughts about seeing this country, forget about your reservations & made a reservation with your airline instead :-)

• Last visit to Phnom Penh: Jan 2003
  • Intro Updated Jan 5, 2003

• Aug 16, 2007 at 12:58 AM

Great insight to Phnom Penh!

• cherook's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2006 at 1:51 AM

I go there about once a week, it's ok and consistent cooking standard. Reasonably priced (expect about a $5 solo meal to about $30 for 4 people). However, parking's a bummer..(unless you have a chauffeur of course :))

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2004 at 2:20 AM

Wonderful Photos,another very interesting page Sherrie, Well Done (~_~)

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2004 at 5:35 PM

Sounds like you took a tour, Sharrie. Do you recommend anyone. It is amazing how time heals. Hardship generates wisdom. No wonder you saw it there.

• Jmill42's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2004 at 6:17 PM

Well written page! I too felt very touched by the people of Cambodia on my visit. It is only through the power of traveling outside your normal "sphere" that the WORLD comes in focus. Great page!!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2003 at 3:12 PM

Great use of the sky/clouds in composing these beautiful photos, Sharrie. I dream of the noodles now too. ;)

• TinKan's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2003 at 8:02 PM

Wow!! Another one of those places on my wish list of places to go. The food looks soooo good.. Great pictures.

• Madasabull's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2003 at 7:07 AM

Breakfast Noodles??? You have got to be joking. There is a huge amount of food there. I cant be bothered to make toast in the morning, let alone all that. :))

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2003 at 7:31 PM

Nice updates, but sooooo sad. There are so many overlooked people in this world. At least your page makes us think of them.

• pmarshuk's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2003 at 12:00 AM

You say it so well. Interesting article you point us to. Despite its obvious political bias, it does illustrate that the rest of the world and especially the US carries a huge burdon for what happened here..

Badges & Stats in Phnom Penh

Have you been to Phnom Penh?

Latest Activity in Phnom Penh