"Xochimilco" Xochimilco by o00o
Xochimilco Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 99 photos
It is a few miles from the city, but well worth the drive. The main attraction there is the lake and the gondola-like boats that are decorated with colorful flowers on the sides. Each boat has a woman’s name painted across the top arch - ours was La Lupita. There is a scenic route, which takes about three hours. This ride goes to the mini islands, where travelers can get off and wander around, buy souvenirs or listen to the story behind the island. A particular island that caught my attention was one that had dolls and doll parts everywhere. It was La Isla de las Muñecas Perdidas (Island of the Lost Dolls). A man who lived there collected dolls he found in the lake.
He put dolls just about anywhere he could find room, even putting a wire from one tree to the next to hang more dolls. I was in awe. As I stepped out of the boat and onto the island, I felt a cold breeze blow. There were about six barking dogs guarding the entrance, but they were harmless. To the left, there was a multitude of different plants, each in its own pot. Farther in the island was the old man’s shanty with three walls covered with dolls. Hanging on the outside was a framed newspaper article with a picture of him, taken from the local paper. The guide had told us that the old man had died a few months earlier and now his sons looked after the island.
o00o's Related Pages
Xochimilco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Michelle and I in Xochimilco"
- "The floating gardens of Xochimilco"
- "The Strange Land of Xochimilco"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Xochimilco
- Transportation in Xochimilco
- Restaurants in Xochimilco
- Warnings and Dangers in Xochimilco
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Xochimilco
- 20 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (62)
Have you been to Xochimilco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Xochimilco
Photos in XochimilcoSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tokyo Intro, 123 reviews, 134 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 82 reviews, 121 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tokyo-to Intro, 66 reviews, 85 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Machu Picchu Intro, 65 reviews, 68 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nazca Intro, 57 reviews, 60 photos
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 56 reviews, 59 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 49 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Angkor Wat Intro, 51 reviews, 54 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phumi Tonle Sab Intro, 50 reviews, 52 photos
- Turkey Intro, 32 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues