"Fuji: More Than a Mountain; It's an Experience" Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen by AKtravelers
Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Travel Guide: 182 reviews and 670 photos
....Before I had moved to Japan, I had visited several times with only a few glimpses of the legendary Mt. Fuji. Often hidden by smog or enshrouded with clouds, Mt. Fuji is a shy denizen of the horizon. Of course, I could always have made a trip specifically to visit the mountain, but logistics and poor weather often conspired against it. Finally, in October 2009, all the stars aligned. I had a rental car, a long weekend and Typhoon Melor had just blown through Japan and cleared up the air. From western Tokyo, the mountain's silhouette was clearly visible as the sun set behind it. Tomorrow would be the day!
....While we were excited to visit a mountain, we were mentally unprepared for all of the other acoutrements to visiting Mt. Fuji. We drove on a musical road, we ate in a Canadian restaurant, we bathed in an onsen, we ate blueberry snacks on a lakeshore. and we got stuck in a three-hour traffic jam. Yes, a trip to Fuji is more than about visiting a mountain -- it's a microcosm of Japan. Which is why I will keep fighting the traffic and visit here again and again
The Mt. Fuji area has more than typical mountain activities to help one while away the time -- this is Japan after all. There are roller coasters and safari parks, onsen and traditional villages. Many shops and restaurants have mountain and wilderness themes, even though the place is hardly very wild -- though apparently there are deer and Japanese antelope around.
Of course, you may not choose to visit Fuji at all, but you can still get a view of it if you're flying in Japan. In any route that would take youwest/southwest of Tokyo, request a window seat on the right side of the plane. If the weather is clear, you can get a great view of Fuji, crater and all!
The Mt. Fuji area is known around Japan for the quality of its blueberries. In the stores around the lakes, you can find... more travel advice
Of course, you go to the mountain to walk on the mountain. Officially, the Mt. Fuji climbing season is from July through... more travel advice
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hakone: Lake Ashi, Mount Fuji & More"
- "The Fuji-Hakone-Izu National Park & Mount Fuji"
- "The Izu Peninsula"
- "Fuji Hakone National Park"
- "Mount Fuji"
- "Mount Fuji and Vicinity"
- "Mountain and lake"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- Hotels in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- Transportation in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- Nightlife in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- Restaurants in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- Shopping in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- Warnings and Dangers in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- 7 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fuji: More Than a Mountain; It's an Experience"
- updated a Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Travel Page "Fuji: More Than a Mountain; It's an Experience"
- Wrote a Review Fuji is a Blueberry Center in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koen Favorites
- Posted in Travel Hawaii (State of) Forum "Re: Suggested Itinerary for 10..."
Photos in Fuji-Hakone-Izu-kokuritsu-koenSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 94 reviews, 187 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 45 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 46 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 65 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cusco Intro, 41 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 29 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baltimore Intro, 34 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Machu Picchu Intro, 33 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maine Intro, 34 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues