Nagano Things to Do Tips by AKtravelers
Nagano Things to Do: 15 reviews and 23 photos
Hel and welcome to the monkey onsen!
Without a doubt, one of the coolest spectacles in all of Japan is to watch the wild snow monkeys of the Japanese Alps sit out a snowy winter day soaking in the hot waters of a naturally-heated onsen. At Jigokudani Yaenkoen monkey park, just above Nagano, you can see these migratory macaques, the world's most northerly primates (besides man) forage for food under the snow and soak in an onsen to relax after a hard days work. The monkeys can be reached after a 1.6 km hike over a wide path covered in cedars along the Yogoku River (itself a beautiful activity during a snowfall). At the end, you'll reach a small cabin where you'll pay Y500 to go see an onsen that was originally meant for people but taken over by the monkeys. There were around 20 of them bathing at once when I visited during a somewhat heavy snowfall. It's very interesting to watch them interact or sleep, much as humans would, as they take to the waters. Of course, they are very active and scurrying around accomplishing tasks other than bathing -- during which they seem to pay you no heed. I wouldn't touch them or harass them -- wild monkeys can hurt you -- but you can get pretty close without them seeming to mind.
....Jigokudani literally means "Hell's Valley" and is located 850 meters above sea level, so snow covers the area about a third of the year. I have been told that some macaques hang out there year round, but are most easily seen in the winter when they congregate around the onsen.
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Nagano Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nagano Livin'"
- "Hakuba and Nagano City"
- "Snow Monkeys"
- "Skiing at Nagano"
- "Nagano - Snow Monkeys, Soba and Miso Ice Cream"
- "Ski The Far East"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nagano
- Hotels in Nagano
- Transportation in Nagano
- Nightlife in Nagano
- Restaurants in Nagano
- Shopping in Nagano
- Warnings and Dangers in Nagano
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cannon Beach Hotels
- Lanikai Hotels
- Porto Santo Stefano
- Alice Springs Hotels
- Charlotte Amalie
- Jekyll Island
- Kampong Sukang Hotels
Badges & Stats in Nagano
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Nagano?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nagano
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Winter Must See: Snow Monkeys in the Hot Bath"
- created a Nagano Travelogue "Photos of Snow Monkeys"
- Wrote a Review A Winter Must See: Snow Monkeys in the Hot Bath about Snow Monkey Park in Nagano Things to Do
- Posted in Travel Hawaii (State of) Forum "Re: Suggested Itinerary for 10..."
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 94 reviews, 187 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 45 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 46 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 65 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cusco Intro, 41 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 29 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baltimore Intro, 34 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Machu Picchu Intro, 33 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maine Intro, 34 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (14)
Latest Nagano hotel reviews
- Matsuya Ryokan
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 4, 2013