"Seeing No Evil Here in Beautiful, Historic Nikko" Nikko by AKtravelers
Nikko Travel Guide: 292 reviews and 884 photos
Nikko, about three hours from Tokyo, won UNESCO World Heritage Site status in 1999 for its collection of shrines and temples built around the founders of the Tokogawa Dynasty, the shoguns that unified and ruled Japan from 1600 to 1867. Tokogawa Ieyasu, the great general who started it all, chose the splendidly peaceful hills of Nikko as his over-the-top burial site, even though he ruled from Edo. His admiring grandson also chose this site, and his temple broke withtradition to face his grandfather's. IN addition to these sites, you can walk along a beautiful riverside lined with the Jizo buddhas or stroll through a 19th-20th century summer palace used by the restored emperors from 1870 through 1947. There's a great deal to see in this small town!
Of course, there's more than just history here. Being a mountain town, Nikko is surrounded by lacy waterfalls made famous in Japanese poetry, crystal clear lakes, jagged mountains and birch forests. If you like skiing or hiking, neither is far away. Additionally, the mountains are spotted with onsens, those wonderful geo-thermally warmed Japanese baths that are the perfect way to end a busy day -- especially on a cool fall evening. We visited at just that time of year, catching the last of the Japanese maples as they turned range and red. We were not disappointed.
....The top site to see in all of Nikko is the Toshu-gu, the elaborate shrine complex built around the final resting... more travel advice
The Jizo statues are a line of buddhas stretching several hundred meters along the Kanman walk in Nikko. These Buddhas... more travel advice
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Nikko Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nikko - UNESCO World Heritage Site"
- "The Temples of Nikko"
- ""Nikko is Nippon""
- "History and Nature Tours All in One!"
- "Nikko - A World Heritage Site"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nikko
- Hotels in Nikko
- Transportation in Nikko
- Restaurants in Nikko
- Shopping in Nikko
- Warnings and Dangers in Nikko
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nikko
- 4 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Nikko?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nikko
Photos in NikkoSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 94 reviews, 187 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 45 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 46 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 65 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cusco Intro, 41 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 29 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baltimore Intro, 34 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Machu Picchu Intro, 33 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maine Intro, 34 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues