"The Bluest, Cleanest Coldest Lake You'll Ever Know" Crater Lake National Park by AKtravelers
Crater Lake National Park Travel Guide: 148 reviews and 433 photos
Crater Lake National Park in Oregon is a bit off the beaten track, but well worth the visit. It is a lake that is perfect in many ways -- perfectly symmetric with an off-center island just to make it interesting, perfectly blue, and perfectly in equilibrium , withthe amount of evaporation nearly corresponding to the amount of precipitation to keep the lake elevation relatively stable. There are no streams in or out of Crater Lake.
We learned that Crater Lake is an excellent winter destination, with fine cross-country skiing trails around the entire rim. But we were there in summer and took advantage of the road to see the entire lake, a trip that can be done in a few hours (take your time!). But, of course, we also took advantage of opportunities to hike, making the trip up to 3000 meter/9000 feet Mt. Scott. The good thing about Crater Lake National Park is that it's far from most cities and not one of the more famous parks, so it's not very crowded.
We didn't see much wildlife at Crater Lake, but the small animals that were there posed conveniently for our photos, making sure that the blue lake formed the backdrop. If you're lucky, you might see mountain lions or deer. We only saw chipmunks.
- In a nutshell:A lake in perfect balance in perfect surroundings
Crater Lake is one of the most beautiful lakes in the world, so enjoy the view. Take your time driving around the rim... more travel advice
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Crater Lake National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Crater Lake National Park Page"
- "Crater Lake National Park"
- "Reflections of Crater Lake"
- "The purest body of water in the world!"
- "Crater Lake is Oregon's 'National' Park"
- "Jewel in the Cascades"
- "Where Else Can You Swim in a Volcano?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Crater Lake National Park
- Hotels in Crater Lake National Park
- Transportation in Crater Lake National Park
- Nightlife in Crater Lake National Park
- Restaurants in Crater Lake National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Crater Lake National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Crater Lake National Park
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Crater Lake National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Crater Lake National Park
- Posted in Travel Hawaii (State of) Forum "Re: Suggested Itinerary for 10..."
- Wrote a Review Enjoy the View from the Rim in Crater Lake National Park Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Enjoy the View from the Rim"
- updated a Crater Lake National Park Travel Page "The Bluest, Cleanest Coldest Lake You'll Ever Know"
Photos in Crater Lake National ParkSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 94 reviews, 187 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 45 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 46 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 65 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cusco Intro, 41 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 29 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baltimore Intro, 34 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Machu Picchu Intro, 33 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maine Intro, 34 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues