Australia Transportation Tips by AKtravelers
Australia Transportation: 238 reviews and 205 photos
The Glenelg train in Adelaide
When we visited Adelaide, we opted to stay in a beachside hotel in the suburb of Glenelg and take the old train into center city. This train has been in operation since 1916 and still uses the original equipment. The cost is low and the ride is only 30 minutes, but the commute is unique and fun. And, no worries about parking at the beach!
beware of echidnas
Australia has the best road signs! In North America, we're used to signs with deer on them. But, here, you get echidnas, kangaroos and wombats. Don't run over them -- kangarros can do quite a bit of damage.
Type: Car/Motor Home
Echidnas are spiky, but can't harm tires
If you're looking to lose weight, swimming is the best way to get to Australia. Not only will you burn off loads of fat cells, but the sharks will help you shed a few pounds, too!
We rented a car (or 'hired' a car if you're Australian) in Sydney and drove through New South Wales, South Australia and Victoria with ease. The driving is similar to that in the American West and nothing like that in Europe: the distances are long and the vistas are huge. Falling asleep at the wheel is a big concern, so make sure your schedule is flexible enough to allow you to pull off for the night when fatigue becomes a factor.
Furthermore, nightime driving in the bush/outback can be dangerous due to the large numbers of animals. Watch out for kangaroos, wallabies and wombats. And be kind to echidnas, like the one pictured here.
Type: Car/Motor Home
More Reviews (23)
- See All Visit Seal Bay on Kangaroo Island
- See All The Oldest Hotel in Narandarra
- See All Visit the Wind-Sculpted Rocks on...
- Buy Opals in Adelaide
- See All Canberra - a functional (not tourist)...
- Australian Rules Football
- See All Stay Awake on Long Drives
- Pack for cool wind and strong sun
- The proper way to greet a kangaroo
- Shiraz Goes Best with Kangaroo
- Watch the Penguins Parade on Kangaroo...
- Skip the Cities; See the Wild Side!
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Australia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Down Under"
- "Australia - you're standing in it"
- "♫ I COME FROM A LAND DOWN-UNDER ♫"
- "AUSTRALIA PAGE IS DEDICATED TO THE ANCIENTS...."
- "Down Under Roundtrip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Australia
- Hotels in Australia
- Transportation in Australia
- Nightlife in Australia
- Restaurants in Australia
- Shopping in Australia
- Warnings and Dangers in Australia
- See All...
Explore the World
- Isle of Palms
- Majengo Hotels
- Ichinoseki Hotels
- Turks and Caicos Islands
- Fontainebleau Hotels
- Jabalpur Hotels
- Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock)
Badges & Stats in Australia
- 36 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Australia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Australia
- Posted in Travel Hawaii (State of) Forum "Re: Suggested Itinerary for 10..."
- updated a Australia Travel Page "AKtravelers Australia Page"
- Uploaded a Photo to "AKtravelers Australia Page"
- Wrote a Review Take the old Glenelg-Adelaide Train in Australia Transportation
- Commented on one of Adeline_Foo's Australia travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 94 reviews, 187 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 45 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 46 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 65 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cusco Intro, 41 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 29 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baltimore Intro, 34 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Machu Picchu Intro, 33 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maine Intro, 34 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (15)
Top Australia hotels
- Gold Coast Hotels
- 836 Reviews - 1796 Photos
- Sydney Hotels
- 5768 Reviews - 13444 Photos
- Melbourne Hotels
- 3372 Reviews - 7591 Photos
- Perth Hotels
- 2291 Reviews - 4821 Photos
- Adelaide Hotels
- 979 Reviews - 2129 Photos
- Surfers Paradise Hotels
- 171 Reviews - 346 Photos
- Port Douglas Hotels
- 227 Reviews - 586 Photos
- Cairns Hotels
- 866 Reviews - 2193 Photos
- Brisbane Hotels
- 1645 Reviews - 3655 Photos
- Canberra Hotels
- 886 Reviews - 2275 Photos
- Geelong Hotels
- 318 Reviews - 667 Photos
- Caloundra Hotels
- 53 Reviews - 113 Photos
- Hamilton Island Hotels
- 143 Reviews - 417 Photos
- Coffs Harbour Hotels
- 250 Reviews - 567 Photos
- Airlie Beach Hotels
- 186 Reviews - 727 Photos