"Lake Tahoe: A Place for Summer and Winter Fun!" Top 5 Page for this destination Tahoe City by AKtravelers
Tahoe City Travel Guide: 127 reviews and 209 photos
I know this page is located under "Tahoe City", but we are going to use it to cover all our adventures around Lake Tahoe, including both the California and Nevada sides. Some day VT may come up with a category that captures regions like Lake Tahoe, but it hasn't yet. But, because the lake is such a magical place, we'll work around VT's restrictions just a little bit so that we can appropriately capture the beauty and fun of Lake Tahoe.
Because we have relatives with a vacation home on the California side of the lake, we have visited the area several times. Most often, we have come to ski in the winter. There are very few areas in the United States that have as many high quality ski areas in such close proximity. Among the best known are Squaw Valley (which hosted the 1960 Olympics), Hevenly, which has spectacular views) and Alpine Meadows. But we have skied some of the smaller, local places too -- which are hidden gems. A week-long ski vacation isn't enough.
We had been visiting Lake Tahoe for several winters in a row before finally going there in the summer. We were shocked at how crowded it was! We had come to think of Lake Tahoe purely as a winter sports destination, but the place was crowded with boaters, bikers, hikers and general tourists. At first we were put off by all the people and traffic. But soon the magic of the lake captured us in its thrall. We still wish ther was less congestion, but it didn't spoil our summer visits.
With Summer and Winter being perfect times to be at Lake Tahoe, when shouldn't one visit? In the late winter, early spring (1.e. April and May), when the snowmelt turns the soil arounf Lake Tahoe into mud. Mud season isn't pleasant and there's little to do (which givbes you time to clean up all the mud on your shoes).
The story of the Donner Party is part of Sierra lore. If you don't know it, the party consisted of several families, led... more travel advice
Would you like to do a short easy hike through two states? The Stateline Fire Road Trail is for you, your older... more travel advice
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Tahoe City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tahoe City, California"
- "Tahoe City"
- "North Shore Splendour"
- "Lake Tahoe: A Place for Summer and Winter Fun!"
- "North Shore Lake Tahoe- Under Construction- Check"
- "The mouth of Tahoe"
- "Lake Tahoe by a Family That Lives There"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tahoe City
- Hotels in Tahoe City
- Transportation in Tahoe City
- Nightlife in Tahoe City
- Restaurants in Tahoe City
- Shopping in Tahoe City
- Warnings and Dangers in Tahoe City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tahoe City
- 23 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Tahoe City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tahoe City
- Wrote a Review Donner State Park: Site of Tragedy in Tahoe City Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ordinary Food Made Great!"
- Posted in Travel Hawaii (State of) Forum "Re: Suggested Itinerary for 10..."
- Commented on one of goingsolo's Tahoe City travel pages
- updated a Tahoe City Travel Page "Lake Tahoe: A Place for Summer and Winter Fun!"
Photos in Tahoe CitySee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 94 reviews, 187 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 45 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 46 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 65 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cusco Intro, 41 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 29 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baltimore Intro, 34 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Machu Picchu Intro, 33 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maine Intro, 34 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues