"Backpacking at End of the Earth" Top 5 Page for this destination Tierra del Fuego by AKtravelers
Tierra del Fuego Travel Guide: 600 reviews and 1,873 photos
Why go to Tierra del Fuego? Well, I saw one review that said that the only reason to come here was to leave and cruise to Antarctica. I disagree. If you are inclined to enjoy outdoor activities, Tierra del Fuego is a great place.
My cousin, his friend and I visited for six days in February 2005. We have to admit that what passes for "tourist sites" here are mediocre attractions seemingly designed to give the cruisers something to do while they're on land in Ushuaia. However, our four-day backpack was one of our best hiking experiences anywhere -- the scenary was spectacular, the terrain was challenging and the crowds were -- well, there were almost no people at all!
Our primary purpose in visiting Tierra del Fuego was to do the Sierra Valdivieso Circuit trek described in the Lonely Planet Guide "Trekking Patagonia". My cousin picked it because it was easily accessible from an airport (Ushuaia) and still provided great scenary and challenging terrain. I have attached a travelogue describing that 4-day jaunt for those interested in the details. As far as I can tell, my travelogue is now the only description of this hike on the internet (I can find no other).
Surrounding the hike, we had adequate time to explore Ushuaia. It is a nice town with a lot more activity than I expected. But, please don't come to Tierra del Fuego just to visit Ushuaia -- it is not a great tourist destination unto itself.
Not only shouldn't you come to see the sites, but you shouldn't visit Tierra del Fuego for the weather. To properly enjoy the island, you should go outdoors, but you should be dressed for inclement days. Rain gear is a must, as are non-cotton clothes of all types. If you stay warm, you will love it here! Tierra del Fuego is beautiful!
- Pros:Exquisite mountain scenary without the altitude
- Cons:Beavers make you watch every step
After completing four days in the Tierra del Fuego wilderness, we headeed down Ushuaia's main drag toward an Irish pub... more travel advice
One of the great things about backpacking is the view you get when you unzip your tent. Almost universally, sunrise is... more travel advice
- See All When Hiking, Keep Your Group Together
- Waterproof Your Hiking Boots!!
- Fresh Seafood from the South Atlantic
- An Acceptible B&B in Ushuaia
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Tierra del Fuego Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tierra del Fuego / Fireland / Feuerland !"
- "Backpacking at End of the Earth"
- "Sharrie's Tierra del Fuego Red-Carpet"
- "Deep South"
- "Rounding Cape Horn - East to West"
- "The most southern world... Le Grand Sud..."
- "Tierra del Fuego"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tierra del Fuego
- Hotels in Tierra del Fuego
- Transportation in Tierra del Fuego
- Nightlife in Tierra del Fuego
- Restaurants in Tierra del Fuego
- Shopping in Tierra del Fuego
- Warnings and Dangers in Tierra del Fuego
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tierra del Fuego
- 19 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Tierra del Fuego?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tierra del Fuego
- Posted in Travel Hawaii (State of) Forum "Re: Suggested Itinerary for 10..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Skinny Dip in a Mountain Lake"
- Commented on one of Sharrie's Tierra del Fuego travel pages
- Wrote a Review Celebrate your Hike at an Irish Pub in Tierra del Fuego Nightlife
- updated a Tierra del Fuego Travelogue "The Sierra Valdivieso Circuit on Tierra del Fuego"
Photos in Tierra del FuegoSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 94 reviews, 187 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 45 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 46 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 65 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cusco Intro, 41 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 29 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baltimore Intro, 34 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Machu Picchu Intro, 33 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maine Intro, 34 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues