"Maine: Life the way it should be?" Top 5 Page for this destination Maine by AKtravelers
Maine Travel Guide: 2,630 reviews and 5,576 photos
Maine is one of the great outdoor paradises of the east, It has rugged mountains, sandy beaches, beautiful rocky coastlines and countless lakes, ponds and streams. It also has lots of quaint fishing villages and old New England towns with the white clapboard homes and churches. If you can catch Maine in autumn, you're really in for a treat, as all the foliage changes to sparkling red, oranges and yellows. And, have you ever felt your nose-hairs freeze? That's Maine in the winter!
Maine's urban life is at its best with charming Portland (possibly more resturants here per capita than any other American city) and its famous lighthouse. Bangor is also a nice city, with a fine Korean War Memorial. But cities like Augusta, Waterville and Skowhegan show a different side of Maine. Populated by the descendants of hard-working, mostly French-Canadian immigrants, these cities are learning how to live the post-industrial life. The shoe factories and textile mills are gone, and these thriving manufacturing towns of the mid-20th century are shrinking. But the good news is that smaller populations and idle factories mean cleaner air and water. After decades of pollution, people swim and boat on the Kennebec River, and Augusta just opened a beautiful riverside walking/jogging path. Maybe life should be like this after all.
But if you only have a limited time in the state, pull up a seat on a mountainside, eat from a backpack and enjoy the ambiance of the sky, trees and rocks. Just as it should be.
- Pros:Great hiking, kayaking, seacoast and lighthouses
- Cons:Dying factory towns, cold winters
Be careful of moose when driving Maine's country roads at night, especially along the northern tier. Every year, several... more travel advice
Boothbay Harbor, Maine, is one of those quaint fishing towns that you dream of when you think of New England's rustic... more travel advice
- See All Acadia National Park: To go or not to...
- See All Maine: Where Landscape and Architecture...
- See All Visit the Northern Lakes Region
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Maine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MAINE.....The Way Life Should Be !!!!!!"
- "Multifaceted Maine: New England's Crown Jewel"
- "Maine: Life the way it should be?"
- "MAINE - LOBSTERS & LIGHTHOUSES"
- "Pinetree State"
- "Cliff Island, Casco Bay, Maine. My summertime."
- "MAINE LIGHT HOUSES"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maine
- Hotels in Maine
- Transportation in Maine
- Nightlife in Maine
- Restaurants in Maine
- Shopping in Maine
- Warnings and Dangers in Maine
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maine
- 34 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Maine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maine
- Posted in Travel Hawaii (State of) Forum "Re: Suggested Itinerary for 10..."
- Wrote a Review Moose are a Lethal Road Hazard at Night in Maine Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Moose are a Lethal Road Hazard at Night"
- updated a Maine Travel Page "Maine: Life the way it should be?"
- Commented on one of richiecdisc's Maine travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 94 reviews, 187 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 45 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 46 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 65 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cusco Intro, 41 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 29 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baltimore Intro, 34 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Machu Picchu Intro, 33 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maine Intro, 34 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues