Alaska Things to Do Tips by AKtravelers
Alaska Things to Do: 410 reviews and 586 photos
Beautiful Prince William Sound
Even though we had already taken a cruise in Seward, some locals ensured us that we saw nothing until we saw Prince William Sound. They were right!
We took a ride on the "Lulu Belle" as recommended by our friendly restaurant owners and, even though it was over $100 a person, it was the best bargain of the trip. We were supposed to be out for seven ours, but the trip lasted ten as the enthusiastic captain never tired of showing us his favorite corners of the sound. We stopped by the house of an oysterman for his fresh catch of the day and had a lunch of seafood. We saw puffins, otters, seals and a variety of bird life as we went in and out of the coves. We passed glaciers and icebergs and beautiful mountains. The opening picture of our Alaska page was taken on this cruise.
The captain also provided a running commentary, laced with humor and opinion, that really added to the journey.
Climbing a low mountain in Wrangell-St. Elias NP
Wrangell-St. Elias National Park is the largest in the United States, so our small day hike along the park's margins hardly makes us an expert. And the low-hanging clouds prevented us from having much of a view of the famous mountains. Still, it was a nice little jaunt.
Amazingly, the most memorable thing about our visit to Wrangell-St. Elias was the town of Chitna, which is at the gateway to the park and the ocation of the park's visitor's center. There is almost nothing noice about the town. When we wandered around it's streets, there was one house that was partially burned down, overgrown lawns everywhere and heaps of garbage and rusted car shells everywhere. It was almost as if every property-owner in town took a turn hosting the town dump!
During the 1960's, a the leaders of a small town east of Fairbanks decided to change their village's name to improve its image and possibly increase tourism ( I should look this up but I believe the previous name of the town referred to its abundance of misquitoes). They chose North Pole, reasoning that nothing raided money like Christmas. Soon, a Santa's Village was built complete with the "real" Santa Claus, whom you can see year 'round. Accompanying this tip is a picture of me with Santa. The picture I wish I had was of Santa pulling down Mr. Monnie's pants -- I just wasn't quick enough!
Hiking along a stream bed in Denali NP
Denali National Park (also known as Mt. McKinley NP) is one of Alaska's jewels, encompassing an entire ecosystem the size of some of the lower 48 states. Within the bounds of this park, we saw 31 grizzly bears, moosem caribou, a wolf and lots lots more. The scenary is spectacular even if you don't see the famous mountain (we caught a fleeting glimpse of it, that's all). We spent three nights at a back country campground, using the shuttle bus (the only transportation allowed) to ferry us back and forth between starting points. If you have a backcountry camping permit, the bus is required to stop and pick you up when you flag it down. If the bus is full, backcountry passholders get preference, so this worked well for us.
There are no hiking trails in the park, but with most of it above treeline, dead reckoning and stream-following works for short hikes. A contour map, compass and/or GPS is essential for longer hikes. Because the tundra is squishy, the going is slow outside of hiking along stream beds.
A glacier runs into one of the Kenai Fjords
The best way to see Kenai Fjords National Park quickly is to take a boat tour from Seward. There are several that operate from the docks in what passes for downtown in this small seaside village. The boat tours may seem expensive, but ours came with a salmon lunch as well as 8 hours on the water looking at glaciers, orcas, puffins, seals, eagles and beautiful mnountain scenary.
More Reviews (8)
- Alaskans Get Money Back from the State
- Pack For All Seasons!
- See All Check Out the Valdez Town Museum
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Alaska Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Land of the Midnight Sun"
- "Alaska--my home for now (again)"
- "Alaska, up north and far away"
- "Train Ride Through Alaska's Interior"
- "The Last Great Frontier"
- "Alaska, land of beauty"
- "Alaska, America's Crown Jewel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alaska
- Hotels in Alaska
- Transportation in Alaska
- Nightlife in Alaska
- Restaurants in Alaska
- Shopping in Alaska
- Warnings and Dangers in Alaska
- See All...
Explore the World
- Newton Corner Hotels
- Torbay Hotels
- Tarifa (Cadiz) Hotels
- White Lake Hotels
- Obcina Bled
Badges & Stats in Alaska
- 13 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Alaska?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alaska
- Posted in Travel Hawaii (State of) Forum "Re: Suggested Itinerary for 10..."
- updated a Alaska Travel Page "Big, Wild, Beautiful and Full of Surprises"
- Wrote a Review Alaskans Get Money Back from the State in Alaska Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Pack For All Seasons!"
- Commented on one of catalysta's Alaska travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 94 reviews, 187 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 45 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 46 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 65 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cusco Intro, 41 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 29 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baltimore Intro, 34 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Machu Picchu Intro, 33 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maine Intro, 34 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (14)
Top Alaska hotels
- Anchorage Hotels
- 819 Reviews - 1480 Photos
- Seward Hotels
- 201 Reviews - 484 Photos
- Denali National Park and Preserve Hotels
- 321 Reviews - 596 Photos
- Fairbanks Hotels
- 315 Reviews - 496 Photos
- Barrow Hotels
- 93 Reviews - 142 Photos
- Juneau Hotels
- 362 Reviews - 881 Photos
- Dutch Harbor Hotels
- 80 Reviews - 118 Photos
- Homer Hotels
- 148 Reviews - 367 Photos
- Ketchikan Hotels
- 221 Reviews - 533 Photos
- Kenai Hotels
- 103 Reviews - 240 Photos
- Sitka Hotels
- 174 Reviews - 278 Photos
- Kodiak Hotels
- 256 Reviews - 446 Photos
- Skagway Hotels
- 158 Reviews - 459 Photos
- Valdez Hotels
- 80 Reviews - 182 Photos
- Girdwood Hotels
- 88 Reviews - 159 Photos