"Cusco and the Sacred Valley" Top 5 Page for this destination Cusco by AKtravelers
Cusco Travel Guide: 1,061 reviews and 2,272 photos
Cusco and the Sacred Valley (the Urubamba River Valley) are two places that we should have spent more time. We say this even though we spent more time here than most vistors to Peru that we know. That's because Cusco and the Sacred Valley probably deserve weeks of attention rather than days. These are two enchanting locations whose unexpected beauty startled us. They are more than just afterthoughts on a visit to Machu Picchu and we will have to return.
In order to avoid problems with altitude sickness, we flew to Cusco and descended soon after visiting the famous Inca temple at Sachsayhuaman. We spent two days in the Sacred Valley (9000ft/2400m), visited Machu Picchu (8000ft/2000m) for three days, then returned to the higher altitudes of Cusco (10500ft/2900m) to visit the vibrant colonial capital. This itinerary gave our bodies a chance to adjust to the heights. Combined with some diamox and the appropriate rest, we warded off the ill affects of a quick trip to high altitude.
We are combining these places to one VT page because there is no "Sacred Valley" category.
Most visitors only see the Sacred Valley from the window of a train, and that is both good and bad. It's good because that means that the beautiful sites on the Urubamba River are not crowded with tourists. It's bad in that those train-bound tourists are missing one of the most beautiful and fascinating places in Peru. However, to tell the truth, we didn't spend enough time here either. We visited Pisac and Urubamba, and took a horseback ride up past the salt terraces (Las Salineras). Maras and Moray. But we missed Oyataytambo, Chinchero and a host of other small towns and Incan ruins that are worthy of a return.
But it is not the sites of the Sacred Valley that impressed us the most. It was the friendly people living traditionally-paced lives in a beautiful place and wearing indigenous clothing that made the biggest impression. They may have been poor by American economic standards, but I wouldn't call them poor in any other way.
Note, most of our SAcred Valley tips (except those of Pisac) will be in the "Off the Beaten Track" category.
Whether you arrive by train or plane, your first view of Cusco will almost always be from above. Therefore, your first impression will be of the uniformly rose-colored roofs. After that, everything about Cusco will also come up roses. The architecture is a curious mix of Spanish Colonial built upon Inca ruins and everything else is a unique melange of Spanish and indigenous influences. This makes Cusco a city that is hard to leave.
Given Cusco's designation as a UNESCO world heritage site and it's undeniable aesthetic and historic appeal, this is one place where you will see a lot of tourists. Therefore, you can expect that Cusco will have lots of tourist infrastructure (hotels, internet cafes, places to download your digital camera, etc.). But it will also have pestering kids and enough petty crime to worry about. But if you're careful, Cusco will be an unforgettable city.
All around the Sacred Valley of Peru, you can still see terraces built during Inca times. Since these terraces continued... more travel advice
When you tour the highlands above Peru's Sacred Valley by horseback, you really get an appreciation for how hard people... more travel advice
- See All Walking is a Great Way to Enjoy Cusco
- See All A Quiet Friendly Place in Cusco
- Bring Clothes to Layer and Keep Dry
- See All Women Carry Their Children Everywhere!
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Cusco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cusco and the Sacred Valley"
- "The center of the Empire"
- "The "special" shine in Cusco"
- "Cusco - "Navel of the Earth""
- "A window on Cuzco"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cusco
- Hotels in Cusco
- Transportation in Cusco
- Nightlife in Cusco
- Restaurants in Cusco
- Shopping in Cusco
- Warnings and Dangers in Cusco
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Cusco
- 41 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Cusco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cusco
- Posted in Travel Hawaii (State of) Forum "Re: Suggested Itinerary for 10..."
- Commented on one of Paul2001's Cusco travel pages
- Wrote a Review Inca Terraces Still Dot Peru's Sacred Valley about Sacred Valley in Cusco Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Poverty is a Fact of Life, but Not Too Bad"
- updated a Cusco Travel Page "Cusco and the Sacred Valley"
Photos in CuscoSee All Photos (59)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 94 reviews, 187 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 45 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 46 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 65 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cusco Intro, 41 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 29 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baltimore Intro, 34 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Machu Picchu Intro, 33 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maine Intro, 34 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (15)
Latest Cusco hotel reviews
- Picoaga Hotel Cusco
- 168 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Hotel Monasterio Cusco
- 767 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Howard Johnson Savoy Plaza Cusco
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Ninos Hotel
- 630 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Hostal Rumi Punku
- 742 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- La Hosteria de Anita
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 15, 2013
- Casa Andina Catedral
- 148 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 22, 2013
- The Green House Peru
- 334 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Novotel Cusco
- 318 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Hostal Loreto
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 23, 2013
- Pirwa Hostels Backpackers
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 2, 2013
- Hostal Marani
- 95 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 1, 2013
- Casa Andina Cusco Plaza
- 243 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- El Mirador de la Nusta
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Apr 7, 2007
- Hostal Cusco Plaza I
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 24, 2013