Machu Picchu Warnings Or Dangers Tips by AKtravelers Top 5 Page for this destination
Machu Picchu Warnings and Dangers: 32 reviews and 21 photos
tHe Urubamba River is a long way down
Aside from the clearing away of thick jungle and the reinforcement of some masonry, Machu Picchu is pretty much in the same state as it was when it was abandoned by the Incas in 1532. Since the Incas had few lawyers or lawsuits, they didn't worry about putting up safety rails anywhere someone could possibly fall and sue. And the Peruvian government hasn't done much to change that (thankfully!). Therefore, there are several edges from which a fall would be long, hard and possibly lethal. Be careful walking near the edge!
The attack of the killer llamas? Not quite!
Always remember that the Llamas at Machu Picchu are wild animals. And, although the park whistle blowers around will do what they can to keep you away from the llamas, they roam where they want and can kick you or bite you if you annoy them. When you see the llamas taking the stairs or coming at you, please give way.
Generally, they will walk right past you. Despite the aggressive appearance of the llamas in this picture, they did not surround Sarah, pin her to the ground, carve off her limbs and ingest them in a wild ceremony involving fire and heavy doses of llama intoxicants. No, they just calmly walked by. Mostly, they are used to people and you can touch them as they meander close to you. Just don't pull, poke, jostle, mount or otherwise pester the llamas. They are wild.
Are we kissing or spitting? This time, it's love!
Warning: Llamas can and will spit at you. According to a Chilean couple that we met at Machu Picchu, it's a pretty nasty experience. Luckily, it didn't happen to us, even though we got close enough to kiss a llama (as you can see in the photo). I guess the way to avoid getting spit on is to give the llamas some space when they're nervous. It appears that they hum when they are anxious, though neither of us are llama experts so if any reader can correct us, we'd appreciate it.
More Reviews (30)
- See All Admire the Structure of the Doorways
- See All The Circular Temple of the Sun Stands...
- See All Pay Attention to the Butterflies
- Lunch at the Sanctuary Lodge
- The Markets of Aguas Calientes Are Good...
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Machu Picchu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Inca Trail"
- "Machu Picchu"
- "Magical Machu Picchu in Rainy Season"
- "Lost City of the Incas"
- "This is what we call sharing on the Inca Trail"
- "EL CAMINO DEL INCA - DAY 1"
- "Machu Picchu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Machu Picchu
- Hotels in Machu Picchu
- Transportation in Machu Picchu
- Nightlife in Machu Picchu
- Restaurants in Machu Picchu
- Shopping in Machu Picchu
- Warnings and Dangers in Machu Picchu
- See All...
Explore the World
- Whitehorse Hotels
- Leche-e Chapter Hotels
- Kepala Batas Hotels
- Lucban Hotels
- Mozambique Warnings and Dangers
- Palermo Warnings and Dangers
- Pyramids of Giza Warnings and Dangers
- Theft and scams
- Kampala Warnings and Dangers
- Pickpockets, Beggars, Crime and Scams
- Manado Warnings and Dangers
- Algeria Warnings and Dangers
- Nîmes Warnings and Dangers
- Ad Dammam Warnings and Dangers
Badges & Stats in Machu Picchu
- 33 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Machu Picchu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Machu Picchu
- Posted in Travel Hawaii (State of) Forum "Re: Suggested Itinerary for 10..."
- Commented on one of jadedmuse's Machu Picchu travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Your "GOODBYE!!" from Machu Picchu"
- updated a Machu Picchu Travelogue "It's Hard to Take a Bad Photo at Machu Picchu"
- Wrote a Review Admire the Structure of the Doorways about Ruins in Machu Picchu Favorites
Photos in Machu PicchuSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 94 reviews, 187 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 45 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 46 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 65 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cusco Intro, 41 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 29 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baltimore Intro, 34 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Machu Picchu Intro, 33 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maine Intro, 34 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (15)
Latest Machu Picchu hotel reviews
- Inkaterra Machu Picchu
- 927 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge
- 719 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Sumaq Machu Picchu Hotel
- 519 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Machu Picchu Inn
- 367 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Hostal Machu Picchu
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 17, 2012
- Rupawasi Condor House
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Santuario Hotel
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Huayna Picchu- 33 Reviews, 43 Photos
- Inca Trail- 46 Reviews, 92 Photos
- Llamas / Other Animals- 11 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Aguas Caliente- 11 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Ruins- 30 Reviews, 45 Photos
- Temples- 14 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Scenery- 14 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Main Gate- 7 Reviews, 12 Photos
- The Condor- 5 Reviews, 5 Photos
- El Intihuatana- 6 Reviews, 6 Photos
See All Machu Picchu Things to Do