"Thailand's Ruined Jewel" Ayuthaya by AKtravelers
Ayuthaya Travel Guide: 704 reviews and 2,218 photos
If you're even looking at this page, you probably already know that Ayuthaya is the UNESCO World Heritage Site north of Bangkok that contains the ruins of Thailand's second capital. You probably know that in the late 1700's, Burmese invaders overran the city, destroying everything they could and running off with everything of value. In fact, they so thoroughly sacked the place that a city that was once one of the world's most populous and spectacular was unihabitable afterwards -- the Thai government essentially just said "Screw it! We're going to Bangkok*" Unfortunately, since I took a day tour to Ayuthaya that wasn't terribly informative, I don't remember much more than that.
* "At least they have lots of Starbucks there," one royal was heard to say
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Ayuthaya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Ancient City Glimpse..."
- "AYUTTHAYA -Fascinating Link with the Past"
- "The Ancient City of Ayutthaya"
- "Ayutthaya - Ancient City - A world heritage"
- "Old Heritage"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ayuthaya
- Hotels in Ayuthaya
- Transportation in Ayuthaya
- Nightlife in Ayuthaya
- Restaurants in Ayuthaya
- Shopping in Ayuthaya
- Warnings and Dangers in Ayuthaya
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ayuthaya
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Ayuthaya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ayuthaya
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 94 reviews, 187 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 45 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 46 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 65 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cusco Intro, 41 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 29 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baltimore Intro, 34 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Machu Picchu Intro, 33 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maine Intro, 34 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues