Taipei Things to Do Tips by AKtravelers
Taipei Things to Do: 506 reviews and 928 photos
A sentry stands motionless at the Martyr's Shrine
In northern Taipei near the Grand Hotel, you'll find the Martyr's Shrine, dedicated to the many who gave their lives in the Republic of China's 20th century struggles. The honored fought to overthrow the Qing Dynasty, defeat warlords, thwart Japan's invasion, prevent Communist domination or keep Taiwan under Kuomintang rule. Most of the names are unfamiliar to westerners but their actions leave one with the impression that the 20th century was a violent and tragic hundred years for China (an impression that would be accurate).
The architecture of the building is beautiful, but the most important event here is the changing of the guard because children have taken to goose-stepping alongside the stoic soldiers. When I find my pictures from that visit, I'll add a tip on the changing of the guard.
The crowd at Snake Alley
Taipei is loaded with night markets, the most interesting of which is known as Snake Alley. Here, vendors sell snake products, including fresh blood cut from live snakes for imbibing on the spot. The snake's blood is supposed to improve a man's sexual prowess, but I didn't test it because it's also been known to contain some nasty parasites.
Unfortunately, it is said that tourists have discovered this place though I haven't ever really seen that many here in a few visits. The bad thing about that rumor is that there are signs everywhere prohibiting photography so I don't have any photos of the snakes or any snake-related activity. Depending on your view, this could be considered cruelty to snakes or justice (if you hate them).
Besides the snakes, make sure you walk around the rest of the night market, too. There's lots of atmosphere to soak up.
Chiang Kai Shek's downtown memorial
Though Chiang Kai Shek has rightfully gone out of fashion in Taiwan, his memorial is still a "can't miss" sight in Taipei. Built right after his death in 1976, the memorial encompasses a huge swath of downtown Taipei, providing a welcome respite from the crowds and buzzing scooters in the streets. The main focus is the marble monolith housing Chiang's statue, where he sits Lincoln-like presiding over hourly changes of the guard (definitely worth seeeing). I also recommend touring the museum, which gives a hagiographic history of Chiang's life and accomplishments -- not bad for a guy who essentially lost two major wars! My personal favorite part of the narrative is the part that isn't there -- there's no mention of the United States' role in defeating Japan in the Pacific war. In fact, the only mention of the U.S. at all is to note that we continued to trade with the Japanese after the 1931 Dalian Bridge incident. So, bring your sense of humor and a little knowledge of Chinese history and you'll enjoy the exhibit immensely.
By the way, Chiang Kai Shek is his Cantonese name. I'll have to post his Mandarin name so you can ask locals for directions.
Now that Chiang has been dead for 30 years, most residents of Taiwan have a more realistic view of their corrupt, draconian former leader. No monument like this would be built to him today. At the same time, however, his successor and son began laying the foundation for democracy in Taiwan and Lee Teng-hui finally delivered it, so it can be said that Chiang Kai Shek left his side of the Taiwan Straits in better shape than Mao Zedong did when he died in Beijing around the same time.
More Reviews (7)
- Traffic: Bad in Four Dimensions!
- Eat at the Grand Hotel
- Tai Chi in the Morning
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Taipei Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home Sweet Home Taipei"
- "Taipei City, my second hometown"
- "Keeweechic's Taipei"
- "Tour around Greater Taipei"
- "Big city-Taipei"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Taipei
- Hotels in Taipei
- Transportation in Taipei
- Nightlife in Taipei
- Restaurants in Taipei
- Shopping in Taipei
- Warnings and Dangers in Taipei
- See All...
Explore the World
- Loughborough Hotels
- Delmas Hotels
- Chongón Hotels
- Northern Territory Hotels
Badges & Stats in Taipei
- 10 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Taipei?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Taipei
- Posted in Travel Hawaii (State of) Forum "Re: Suggested Itinerary for 10..."
- Commented on one of chewy3326's Taipei travel pages
- Wrote a Review Traffic: Bad in Four Dimensions! in Taipei Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Traffic: Bad in Four Dimensions!"
- created a Taipei Travel Page "Taipei - One of Asia's Best-kept secrets"
Photos in TaipeiSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 94 reviews, 187 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 45 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 46 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 65 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cusco Intro, 41 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 29 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baltimore Intro, 34 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Machu Picchu Intro, 33 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maine Intro, 34 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (15)
Latest Taipei hotel reviews
- Paradise Hotel Taipei
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Hotel Flowers Taipei
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Wonstar Hotel
- 50 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 17, 2013
- San Want Residences
- 89 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Burgary Hotel
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 22, 2013
- Imperial Hotel Taipei
- 59 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Tango Nanshi Taipei
- 195 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Sheraton Taipei Hotel
- 338 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Neijiang Hotel
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Sunroute Hotel Taipei
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Dandy Hotel(Tianjin Street)
- 110 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Ferrary Hotel
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 29, 2013
- JBG Hotspring Resort Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Dec 28, 2011
- Beitou Hot Springs- 22 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Night Markets- 30 Reviews, 52 Photos
- Taipei 101- 37 Reviews, 92 Photos
- Dan Shui- 12 Reviews, 27 Photos
- Chiang Kai Shek (CKS) Memorial- 46 Reviews, 90 Photos
- Longshan Temple- 21 Reviews, 36 Photos
- National Palace Museum- 33 Reviews, 45 Photos
- Martyr's Shrine- 16 Reviews, 38 Photos
- Jiu Fen- 13 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Fisherman's Wharf- 11 Reviews, 20 Photos
See All Taipei Things to Do