"Taipei - One of Asia's Best-kept secrets" Taipei by AKtravelers
Taipei Travel Guide: 1,398 reviews and 3,810 photos
Taipei is the capital of Taiwan and the home of about 4 million people. But nothing about Taipei makes it feel that important -- that inhuman. The best thing about the city is it's smallness -- small shops, small night markets and small restaurants and bars -- even though it now has the world's tallest skyscraper (Taipei 101). This contrasts marvelously with Hong Kong and makes you feel welcome.
Of course, Taipei is still a vibrant, modern city with great sites and great food. While the Cultural Revolution was rampaging over mainland China, the Taiwan government kept alive Chinese cooking, chinese art, both graphic and performing. The National Palace Museum alone is worth the trip to Taipei. But the city is much much more.
As you tour around Taipei, you'll be forgiven if you can't remember where you are. While Taiwan is a small island off the coast of the People's Republic, its political status is the source of great friction. Should Taiwan be independant or should it reunite with the mainland? But if you visit the Chiang Kai Shek memorial, you'll be even more confused should Taiwan take the mainland by force? All of these questions! Yikes!
The past ROC government policy had been to consider all Chinese history part of its history, which can be confusinng to visitors. It's important to remember that when many inhabitants of Taipei say "my country", they may mean all of China. Of course, more and more, they may also mean an independant Taiwan. My advice if you end up talking politics with a native -- be courteous to everyone's view. It's their future for them to decide.
- Pros:Great food, great people, interesting politics
- Cons:Traffic, pollution
There are many cities with bad traffic but no city has bad traffic the way Taipei has bad traffic: with scooters. Not... more travel advice
If you're in Taipei on a budget, you may not be able to afford to stay in the Grand Hotel, but you should at least take... more travel advice
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Taipei Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home Sweet Home Taipei"
- "Taipei City, my second hometown"
- "Keeweechic's Taipei"
- "Tour around Greater Taipei"
- "Big city-Taipei"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Taipei
- Hotels in Taipei
- Transportation in Taipei
- Nightlife in Taipei
- Restaurants in Taipei
- Shopping in Taipei
- Warnings and Dangers in Taipei
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Taipei
- 10 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Taipei?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Taipei
- Posted in Travel Hawaii (State of) Forum "Re: Suggested Itinerary for 10..."
- Commented on one of chewy3326's Taipei travel pages
- Wrote a Review Traffic: Bad in Four Dimensions! in Taipei Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Traffic: Bad in Four Dimensions!"
- created a Taipei Travel Page "Taipei - One of Asia's Best-kept secrets"
Photos in TaipeiSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 94 reviews, 187 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 45 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 46 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 65 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cusco Intro, 41 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 29 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baltimore Intro, 34 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Machu Picchu Intro, 33 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maine Intro, 34 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues