Seoul Nightlife Tips by AKtravelers Top 5 Page for this destination
Seoul Nightlife: 183 reviews and 203 photos
Korean friends drinking Soju after work
If you go out drinking with Koreans, prepare to consume a lot of soju. Soju is that national drink, and it comes in small bottles of clear liquid. It is not as strong as vodka or gao liang, with an alcohol level of about 25%, but if you drink it in the copious amounts that some Koreans do, you'll be buzzing nonetheless.
Drinking with Koreans comes with its own set of customs, the most important of which is that you never pour your own glass. If your neighbor's glass is empty, he is expecting you to fill it (but would never ask). Once you top him off, he'll return the favor.
If you are being required to drink more than you can hold, it is possible to sneak water into your soju glass and get away with a few shots of H2O if no one is looking. But if you get caught, be prepared to drink enough soju to more than make up for what you skipped.
Theme: Eating and Drinking
Rufus charms the ladies at Geckos Outdoor
Itaewon is a very cosmopolitan neighborhood just south of Namsan mountain. It is the original foreigner ghetto set up by the Korean monarchy in the 1880's and has retained its international flavor. You can find crowds of people speaking several different languages. On my last trip, we unexpectedly crashed a birthday party of Belgians, and were treated warmly dispite our cluelessness.
Itaewon has several good options for getting good beer. I prefer the Three Alley Pub, which has a fine selection of Belgian beers, some good German beers and Guinnesss on tap. Also good are Geckos outdoors (for relaxed drinking) or Geckos (for a more active time). Woodstock's has live music. Finally, if you want to stay up until dawn, try the Lime Lite.
Just a few things to remember. The metro closes before the bars (I learned this last trip) so don't spend your taxi fare if you're staying out late. It's also interesting to observe the difference in the atmosphere before and after curfew on the nearby military base. I
Theme: Eating and Drinking
More Reviews (63)
- See All Visit the New Pagoda Garden
- See All The Disappearing Kimchi Jars
- See All Learn the Hangul Alphabet
- See All The Graves of Baekje Kings, Right in...
- See All Traditional Korean Food = Many Dishes
- See All Myeongong: The Great Shopping Area
- See All A TopEnd Business Hotel That is too...
- Traffic is Hell -- Take the Subway!
- It's Easy and Cheap to See a Korea...
- Pack for Washington DC-like Weather
- See All Beware of Street Food
Been to Seoul?Share your travels with the world!
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Seoul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to The Land of Big Smog"
- "Return to Seoul"
- "Seoul - My favorite place on Earth!"
- "Seoul: Energy in the Land of the Morning Calm"
- "Organized Chaos --> Seoul, South Korea"
- "Seoul, Capital of Korea"
- "Backpacking Korea in Winter / Spring"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Seoul
- Hotels in Seoul
- Transportation in Seoul
- Nightlife in Seoul
- Restaurants in Seoul
- Shopping in Seoul
- Warnings and Dangers in Seoul
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Seoul
- 65 Reviews
- 87 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Seoul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Seoul
- Posted in Travel Hawaii (State of) Forum "Re: Suggested Itinerary for 10..."
- Commented on one of Ewingjr98's Seoul travel pages
- Wrote a Review Visit the New Pagoda Garden in Seoul Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Visit the New Pagoda Garden"
- updated a Seoul Travelogue "Cherry Blossom Viewing/People Watching on Yeouido"
Photos in SeoulSee All Photos (87)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oahu Intro, 94 reviews, 187 photos, 4 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 49 reviews, 172 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 45 reviews, 119 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Zealand Intro, 46 reviews, 110 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Seoul Intro, 65 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cusco Intro, 41 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Hanoi Intro, 29 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Baltimore Intro, 34 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Machu Picchu Intro, 33 reviews, 52 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maine Intro, 34 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (15)
- Gyeongbokgung Palace- 87 Reviews, 200 Photos
- Namsan (South Mountain) and Seoul Tower- 67 Reviews, 160 Photos
- DMZ - DeMilitarized Zone- 57 Reviews, 143 Photos
- Korean Folk Village- 41 Reviews, 76 Photos
- Insadong- 37 Reviews, 51 Photos
- Lotte World- 30 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Itaewon- 19 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Myeongdong- 22 Reviews, 31 Photos
- Namdaemun - Great South Gate- 35 Reviews, 57 Photos
- COEX Mall- 13 Reviews, 19 Photos
See All Seoul Things to Do