"Owls Head, My Original Hometown" Owls Head by Amiga
Owls Head Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 13 photos
<font color=cornflowerblue>Where I was born and lived my first 18 years. I am continuing to work on this page. The photo is of Owls Head Lighthouse.<p>"Owl's Head ushers at once upon a scene almost too beautiful to profane with speech when we are looking at it, impossible to find language to do it justice when memory would summon it before us again."
-- Samuel Adams Drake, The Pine Tree Coast, 1891.<p>Nobody is quite sure how Owl's Head got its name. Some say the picturesque promontory resembles an owl from the water but it takes a great imagination to see anything of the sort. Others say Owl's Head is the English translation of the Indian name for the spot, Medadacut. When Owl's Head was visited by Champlain in 1605, it was known as Bedabedec Point, an Indian word meaning "Cape of the Winds." The village called Owl's Head became a town in 1921. It had previously been part of South Thomaston.
Mackeral Caught in Owls Head Harbor more travel advice
Amiga's Related Pages
Owls Head Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Owls Head, My Original Hometown"
- "Owls Head - location of the Owls Head Light"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Owls Head
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Owls Head?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Owls Head
Photos in Owls HeadSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Cuba Intro, 45 reviews, 150 photos, 4 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 32 reviews, 31 photos
- U. S. Virgin Islands Intro, 13 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos
- Grenada Intro, 23 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- The Bahamas Intro, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Honduras Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos
- Maine Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Boston Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Belize Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues