"Owls Head, My Original Hometown" Owls Head by Amiga

Owls Head Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 13 photos

<font color=cornflowerblue>Where I was born and lived my first 18 years. I am continuing to work on this page. The photo is of Owls Head Lighthouse.<p>"Owl's Head ushers at once upon a scene almost too beautiful to profane with speech when we are looking at it, impossible to find language to do it justice when memory would summon it before us again."

-- Samuel Adams Drake, The Pine Tree Coast, 1891.<p>Nobody is quite sure how Owl's Head got its name. Some say the picturesque promontory resembles an owl from the water but it takes a great imagination to see anything of the sort. Others say Owl's Head is the English translation of the Indian name for the spot, Medadacut. When Owl's Head was visited by Champlain in 1605, it was known as Bedabedec Point, an Indian word meaning "Cape of the Winds." The village called Owl's Head became a town in 1921. It had previously been part of South Thomaston.

</font>

• Intro Written Sep 13, 2001

• shrimp56's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2003 at 7:23 AM

Classic pictures of a wonderful coast to both live on and visit :)

• ExGuyParis's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2003 at 8:15 AM

A wonderful, personal portrait. My compliments to your mom for her flower garden!

• JudyinPA's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2002 at 10:53 AM

there is always "no place like home", especially when it has so much character.

Amiga

“We are always about to take off into a future unencumbered”

Badges & Stats in Owls Head

Have you been to Owls Head?

Latest Activity in Owls Head