"Adventure and relax in Misahualli" Puerto Misahuallí by NatalieIv

Puerto Misahuallí Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 12 photos

My jungle dreams

I have been dreaming of going to Amazon a while scared of the malaria and insects at the same time. I imagined giant blue butterflies, fantastic olor of exotic flowers and poisonous snakes hanging on the branches. It was a little bit of Tarzan and Animal Planet coctail. I also hoped to get acquanted with some indigenous people and see how they live in the 21st century. I got a little bit fed up with artifitial intellect and too much complicated educated people around. And for the last reason I expected to find a good shaman. I was seeking for a healing ceremony with ayahuaska.

The reality

Some co-travellers recommended me a hostal Banana Lodge and it`s friendly owners willing to help with whatever information. Luckily there was a room when I arrived. I felt great right from the first second. The garden around is very beautiful, the river view was fantastic and my room was very nice. I jumped into the green river and half an hour later started to question Anna about possible tours and shamans around. I continued to be lucky - they had a group for the next day tour on a boat and the shaman was available as well. She advised me how to prepare for the tour and the ceremony and I got to the hammock to relax after a very hot day. Later I even fell asleep in the hammock listening to the river and night insects.

Tour and ceremony

The next morning all 5 of us with Eduardo (the owner) got into the boat and started our trip to the Animal Rescue Center Amazoonico. It was so fantastic to see the animals of the zone in their own climate. I was explained also that it was very difficult to see these animals in the wild life beacause the people are hunting them. So sad to say good-bye to my fantasy. After we swam in the river and headed to a butterfly farm. I could stay there for a day taking pictures of the recently born butterflies. Great place to see the
metamorphosis of butterflies and take pictures. After we had lunch (very good I would say) and made a one hour and a half with a native guide. It was amazing to see all that lianas and strange trees, walking trees among them. I got my next surprise - there were no eadible fruits in the jungle. I got to be very keen on discover what indigenous people eat. The answer was very close. Our next visit - indigenous community where we were shown dances and preparation of chicha of manioca. It was fantastic to talk to the members of the community.
Later I have been taking to the shaman and he told me about ayahuaska traditions here, gave me ayahuaska and made me cleaning. It was a wonderful experience and I feel somehow different and much happier.

• Pros:close to quito, beautiful rustic village, banana lodge is the best place to stay
  • In a nutshell:I will defenitely return with my friends
  • Last visit to Puerto Misahuallí: Mar 2013
  • Intro Written Apr 14, 2013

Comments

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Badges & Stats in Puerto Misahuallí

Have you been to Puerto Misahuallí?

Latest Activity in Puerto Misahuallí