"The City of Nottingham" Nottinghamshire by SusanneBeck
Nottinghamshire Travel Guide: 560 reviews and 1,252 photos
Nottingham, the regional capital of the East Midlands, is famous around the world for many things - from fine lace to football, from Robin Hood and the Sheriff to household names such as the Boots Company and Raleigh Industries. It is a cosmopolitan city, with a diversity of cultures, and countryside close at hand. It's a great place to visit- and to those who know Nottingham it came as no surprise that in a recent national survey it was voted the best city in the country in which to live. I stayed in Nottingham for a week in the summer of 1990. It was the first time I'd met my Aunt and Uncle since I was a very young baby, Nottingham always reminds me of them. My family was able to stay in a flat which my Aunt and Uncle owned, right above their own. This was so useful, and I really enjoyed my time in Nottingham. As I was very young (10), it's hard to remember details of what I did in Nottingham so sorry for the lack of personal stories on this page. Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy reading it and that it helps you learn a little more about this wonderful city.
Nottingham combines the best of old and new. Shoppers have excellent modern shopping centres and traditional markets. Cultural life thrives, with a superb modern concert hall attracting well know names from the classical, pop and rock worlds, and two theatres.
Film lovers have varied viewings at multi-screen and arts cinemas and there is a lively rock scene. If sport is more to your taste, there is also a wide choice of first class cricket, top level football, horse racing, tennis, watersports, golf and motor sport.
Although Nottingham is a modern city, it has an interesting history and heritage. There are a variety of excellent and unusual museums featuring natural history, science, costume and textiles, canals and local history.
Many fine old buildings remain in the city, including the 15th century church of St Mary on High Pavement, Georgian town houses and several picturesque pubs. Some have medieval origins: The Trip to Jerusalem at the foot of Castle Rock, reputedly the oldest pub in England, the Bell Inn, the Royal Children and the Salutation Inn. A former Unitarian church on the fringe of the city's Lace Market area is now converted into a Lace Hall, illustrating the history of Nottingham's most famous product.
Early October brings Goose Fair, the country's largest three-day fair, believed to date back more that 1,000 years. The modern fair, packed with hundreds of amusements, becomes at night a spectacular carpet of lights.
Nottingham and the surrounding county offer the chance to explore literary associations. Contemporary writer Alan Sillitoe grew up in the industrial outskirts of Nottingham, enjoying his frequent roaming of the nearby University Park and lake. D.H. Lawrence made famous the mining town of Eastwood and the surrounding Nottinghamshire countryside.
National Watersports Centre Watersports centre with full facilities in country park setting. more travel advice
Visit 'The Tales of Robin Hood' you are invited to enter a world of mystery and merriment, where legend and adventure... more travel advice
- See All Go shopping!!! Nottingham...
- If you ever walk past a little...
- Nottingham has over 200...
- Fortunately I've never had to...
SusanneBeck's Related Pages
Nottinghamshire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nottinghamshire, where I was born n bred!"
- "The Old Hometown Looks The Same......."
- "On Robin Hood's trail......"
- "Men in Tights"
- "gnt70's Nottingham Page"
- "Rob47's new Nottingham Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nottinghamshire
- Hotels in Nottinghamshire
- Transportation in Nottinghamshire
- Nightlife in Nottinghamshire
- Restaurants in Nottinghamshire
- Shopping in Nottinghamshire
- Warnings and Dangers in Nottinghamshire
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Nottinghamshire
- 23 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Nottinghamshire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nottinghamshire
- Posted in Travel Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Forum "Re: Re: Real life in Las Palmas"
- created a Nottinghamshire Travel Page "The City of Nottingham"
- Wrote a Review Go shopping!!! Nottingham... in Nottinghamshire Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "National Watersports Centre"
- Commented on one of Adztravels's Nottinghamshire travel pages
Photos in NottinghamshireSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Corsica Intro, 47 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 43 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 36 reviews, 17 photos
- United Kingdom Intro, 22 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Manchester Intro, 24 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salamanca Intro, 24 reviews, 23 photos
- Cambridgeshire Intro, 24 reviews, 22 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 26 reviews, 17 photos
- Nottinghamshire Intro, 23 reviews, 13 photos
- Belfast Intro, 14 reviews, 12 photos