"Quanzhou" Quanzhou by joecooper
Quanzhou Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 18 photos
It's great to write a page on VT safe in the knowledge that probably nobody else from VT has ever visited. But, hey - why would you? Quanzhou isn't in any tourist guides I know of and there isn't anything about it on the web relating to tourism (At least not in English). Anyway, I hope these pages will give you a good overview of what you are missing...
Whilst teaching, I stayed here for 1 week with the family of one of my star students Tang Sheng Tao - he's the guy in the football shirt. It was an interesting experience, eating, sleeping, washing and generally living as if I were Chinese. I picked up a great deal of Mandarin as although Tang Sheng Tao was near fluent at 13 (Even though he had met only a handful of English speakers), the rest of his family spoke next to no English. They took great delight in teaching me new words and phrases, mostly involving "chi" (eat)!
Tang Sheng Tao's father works for the local government as head of tourism so this meant I had the privilege of seeing all the best places in and around Quanzhou. As he had a good job compared to local standards this also meant I got to live in their fairly spacious apartment and got driven round in a people carrier - one of only a few in the whole town.
As there are never any western visitors here apart from one or two teachers each summer, I got lots of stares and interest. I'm sure some of the people had never seen a non-Chinese and to see me I can appreciate would be quite a shock due to my height and hair colour!
The younger children I taught were particulalry fascinated by me and this is just one of the dozens of photos I have of me with the different classes I taught.
- Pros:Only locals, real China...
- Cons:The stares, dirty streets...
- In a nutshell:Easily passed by, worth a day or two if you have time...
Just walk round the centre of the town. You'll find the odd temple amongst the mainly bland modern architecture. But the... more travel advice
joecooper's Related Pages
Quanzhou Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Quanzhou
- 3 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Quanzhou?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Quanzhou
Photos in QuanzhouSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 30 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 30 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 20 reviews, 48 photos
- Slovenia Intro, 14 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 22 reviews, 31 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 17 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 31 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Guangzhou Intro, 12 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 14 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues