"Ancient Ayuthaya" Ayuthaya by joecooper
Ayuthaya Travel Guide: 730 reviews and 2,409 photos
Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya was the Thai capital from 1350, when it was founded by King U-Thong, until it was sacked by the Burmese in 1767. At its peak it was one of the world's most prosperous cities and was larger than London at the time.
Today there are extensive ruins covering an area of 2,556 square kilometres in and around the city island surrounded by three rivers - the Chao Phraya, Pa Sak and Lop Buri. The modern city is relatively pleasant and quite spread out. The whole area is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
It really is a magnificent place and as it is only about 80 kilometres north of Bangkok, it is a must see for anyone spending more than a couple of days in the present capital.
The best way to visit is on an organised tour which you will easily find details of at most hostels and guesthouses in Bangkok.
- Pros:Fascinating ruins in a picturesque river island setting
- Cons:Searing heat, difficult to get about
- In a nutshell:A step back in time in a different world
joecooper's Related Pages
Ayuthaya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Ancient City Glimpse..."
- "AYUTTHAYA -Fascinating Link with the Past"
- "The Ancient City of Ayutthaya"
- "Ayutthaya - Ancient City - A world heritage"
- "Old Heritage"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ayuthaya
- Hotels in Ayuthaya
- Transportation in Ayuthaya
- Nightlife in Ayuthaya
- Restaurants in Ayuthaya
- Shopping in Ayuthaya
- Warnings and Dangers in Ayuthaya
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ayuthaya
- 8 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Ayuthaya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ayuthaya
Photos in AyuthayaSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Netherlands Intro, 30 reviews, 63 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 30 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 20 reviews, 48 photos
- Slovenia Intro, 14 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Amsterdam Intro, 22 reviews, 31 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 17 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- United Kingdom Intro, 18 reviews, 33 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 31 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Guangzhou Intro, 12 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 14 reviews, 24 photos, 2 travelogues