"Hiking with children in Syöte nationalpark" Oulu by Kaarina

Oulu Travel Guide: 194 reviews and 347 photos

Syöte nationalpark

As we visit Syöte nationalpark frequently, thought I write a little about that. This text is in my Oulu page, because Oulu is the nearest big city to the park. We have visited Syöte every year for about ten years.

Syöte nationalpark is situated about 60 kilometers from Pudasjärvi to north. You can travel there along the Oulu- Kuusamo highway (number 20) and then turn to the way 858. Besides of own car or a taxi (very expensive) you can travel there by bus. I found some www-pages about Syöte: http://luontoon.fi/retkikohteet/kansallispuistot/Syote/Sivut/Default.aspx and http://www.syote.net/index.php?file=0003

Very near to the nationalpark there is the Syöte Visitor Centre, where you can find maps about Syöte, make reservations and eat or drink coffee.

During wintertime there are skiingroutes in nationalpark, but we haven't tested them.

Actually, we have been in other finnish nationalparks also. For example:

- In Pyhä-Häkki nationalpark. Some for children dangerous looking swam,ps, of course with "pitkospuut", but very beautifull and it has got good hiking routes suitable for everybody.

-Urho Kekkonen nationalpark in Lapland. Usually we clime up to Kiilopää and walk to "Poromiesten tupa". In year 2000 we hiked for some days and most clearly I can remember flowing waters...

- Isojärvi nationalpark. We saw beavers. It isn't anything to see beavers in a zoo, but to see them in real nature...

- Leivonmäki nationalpark is also a good place for hiking.

Different possibilities for hiking in summertime

During our first years in Syöte we had got with us a over 60-years old lady and our son was very small, so our usual trip was from Visitor Center to Annintupa, where is the bridge goes over Anninkoski. We put up a fire and ate sausages over there. When Peter was very small he was with in a carryig-bag in my back.

Often I can remember I alone liked to walk in the forest from Iso-Syöte fell (where we allways live) through Anninkoski and koiraoja to Ahmatupa and back, which makes over 20 kilometers to walk. That didn't take too much time, because I was in rather good physical condition. If you get tired in the way, it's always possible to stay overnight in Ahmatupa.

In one year we reserved Ahmatupa for three days (It cost's only little). We carried our five-year old son there in our backs. It was quite a hard work, I can remember. My husband carried our food and I carried Peter. Lovely flowers blossoming in front of Ahmatupa, I can remember. We had lovely time there.

In summer 2010 we hiked all to Ylpiätupa (in the photo) and in summer 2011 we all three hiked to Koiraoja. Also our now nine years old son was well motivated to walk in the beautifull nature.

Some of the cabins you can use without any costs and during years we have used some of them to stay overnight. There are of course not any facilities in them. (The negative point for me nowadays is that there are bunk beds so I need to clime up near to roof with all my hundred of kilos!) You heat them up with wood. I would like to go to see that one in Toraslampi, because there haven't we been yet!

If you are in a very hunger to hike in national parks and in nature, is there the UKK-route for you. It goes from Lieksa (Koli) through Syöte to UKK national park in Savukoski. That's hundreds of kilometers.

What to take with to the forest?

As usually in finnish nature also in Syöte there are mosquitoes. But even I can't tell when there are a lot's of mosquitoes, when there are a little amount of mosquitoes ot when there aren't mosquitoes at all. So it is usefull allways pack some mosquitorepellent with. Don't forget it!

In Syöte national park there are good pitkospuut (I lack the english word... wood along with you walk). So it doesn't matter so much wich kind of shoes you wear if you are sensible enouhg not to wear your partyshoes.

It's good to take some food with you to eat at fireplaces. Water in the forest is drinkable, so it's not necessary to carry water to forest.

You need matches to make fire.

• Last visit to Oulu: Jul 2011
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

Comments

Kaarina Visits Here Frequently!

Ranked Member