"Christian orphanage work in Machilipatnam" Machilipatnam by Kaarina

Machilipatnam Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 3 photos

ICA-home

We came for the first time to India for to visit ICA-home for three months in 2000-2001. My husband found a lot to do, I think I wasn't so usefull.

ICA-home is an orphanage. It is founded in 1940's by a finnish missionary. In this summer there were 86 boys of ages 6-20.

This was our thred time to be there.

We attended for example the religious meeting in picture.

You can do something to help poor indians

I think they still need godparents to send some small amounts of money to children (and write to children and so on...). If you are interested to help, you can ask me some contactnumbers.

This time we spoke with boys and shared them some fruits, cakes, ice creams, pens and so on..

About shopping and habbits in Machilipatnam

The most famous items to buy in Machilipatnam are probably Kalamkari cloths. They are handprinted in Machilipatnam or somewhere near. I have heard some finnish people have been in the Kalamkarifactory to watch how the cloths are made, but I haven't been there. There is also a factory, which makes golden-looking jewellery. It's worthless, but sometimes rather beautifull. The "golden-looking" jewellery is perhaps it's cheapest in machilipatnam, where it is made, althought it isn't expensive anywhere. The prices of sarees may be lower in machilipatnam, than in Winayawada for example.
I try to clothe in the indian way in Machilipatnam (or almost in the indian way). The habit is that your knees and elbows are not allowed to be seen. I didn't see any pare of legs in whole Andhra Pradesh (although it was hot)! The easiest way to get a proper indian suit is to buy a cloth during the first days in India and take it to the tailor. It doesn't cost a lot and you get a suit of your size. If you choose to wear jeans or a long skirt and a long shirt is that also possible.
They have got one rather difficult habit in Andhra Pradesh. You shouln't look people of opposite sex directly into eyes. A woman can look directly into eyes only her husband. (In Finland I have used rather to stare people, so that was difficult for me. For example in a restaurant I found the waiter to look at me and I stared back. Only in Finland I noticed I should have nicely stared my plate.)

• Last visit to Machilipatnam: Jun 2011
  • Intro Updated Oct 31, 2011

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Your work with children is so admirable. Great photos :-)

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Machilipatnam

Have you been to Machilipatnam?

Friends