"Travel Bug Bites And I Bite Back" LeslieofTodd's Profile

Get Up And Go!

In my 56 years I have lived in five states and traveled to many others in the USA. I've made several trips to the Virgin Islands, Mexico and Canada. I have always enjoyed visiting new places and have a keen interest in the culture, history and food of the places I have been and where I hope to go.

Back in 2006 I tore up my left ankle and had it repaired with a handful of steel screws and plates. That experience slowed me down considerably and forced my semi-retirement from selling recreational real estate around Raystown Lake in Central Pennsylvania. In the spring of 2012 I fell on the steps in my home and ravaged the tibial plateau in my left leg. Again, able hands sculpted a repair of stainless steel and I spent many months regaining my ability to ambulate.

Both accidents damaged my confidence as well as my body--and a poor body it is; MS has taken its toll since the early 90s and my spine is aging even faster than my brain! I recently decided that I needed to do something to regain my psychological strength and test the physical progress that hard work in physical therapy provided.

I have never been to Europe but have held a life-long dream of traveling through France and I am now in the process of planning a journey that will test my ability to travel with mobility issues. I use a cane and have a noticable limp. I can cover some distance but I must watch my step and take my time and manage pain and fatigue. With the trip to France as my prize, I am working hard to gain strength to handle the rigors of travel. Every trip up and down the steps of my home builds a little more muscle and balances my gait. And the time spent on the computer researching and planning my journey has been wonderful brain exercise. And I am learning so much I did not know. One of the greatest things I have discovered is the amazing community of travelers who are willing to share their experiences and expertise with others.

I look forward to the interactions with others who have also been bitten by the travel bug--both the able-bodied and the damaged. After all, it is all about the journey...

"Leavin' On A Jet Plane..."

This coming Tuesday (23rd April, 2013) I will be flying over the landscape in this photo; an aerial view of where I spend most of my time. I am on the cusp of departure for an eighteen day trip through parts of France by train. The trip is a life-long dream and also a life-affirming action. I stumbled onto Virtual Tourist back in February while I was playing travel agent and planning this trip. Since I signed on to Virtual Tourist, there has not been a day that has gone by that I have not been enriched by the contributions of committed travellers and armchair travellers alike. I have made friends, and I thank each and every one of you for all of the wonderful advice and support that you have given me. And the bonds of friendship that are forming are something I can pack (with no additional weight!) and take with me in my heart as I go out into the world to explore. Very special thanks to those who have helped guide me when I was clueless, bouyed me when I flagged, and kept me on the many branched path of the traveller. I will be back in mid-May and hopefully post something that might help someone else who really needs to get moving again...so, as my good friend Kate says, "Ciao!" (for now)

• Intro Updated Apr 21, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Thanks for following Albert's link and finding the Fairy Tale Fountain review on my Frankfurt am Main page. Since I took that photo, Emily has come with me to the opera a second time, and I think we might go again in December.

• Rixie's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2014 at 6:28 PM

So glad that you got to make your trip to France.

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Thank you, Rixie! Now I'm set to continue my trip through France. I've planned almost a month in Provence for Spring 2015 and I am very excited about it as all the pieces are falling together nicely. I haven't written up the 2013 trip yet because it was so stunted but I have photos and notes from my time in Brittany that I will eventually put together with whatever I accumulate on the upcoming trip. I have local material I need to write up too but when I am on VT there is so much to read and such fine photographs that I don't get around to writing about my little world! ;-)

• Rixie's Profile Photo
      Nov 13, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Sounds exciting!

• wabat's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2014 at 6:31 AM

Hi Leslie,

I do hope you are well and I am sure you are looking forward to your return to France - the way time flys it will be time to board the plane before you know it.

I just wanted to let you know I have finished all my North Korea pages. I am not sure how much you got to read but suggest you look again at my introductory page and your May messages on it.
    All my other NK pages are linked from it.

"And now for something completely different" - North Korea by wabat

I do hope it does not interfere with your gardening again :)

• wabat's Profile Photo
      Nov 5, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Leslie, thank you for popping into Pyongyang again and continuing your virtual journey through North Korea with me. My pleasure to have you along :-)

Nov 5, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Albert, you are so pleasant and easy to travel with! :-)

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Les, thank you for visiting my Sligo pages. I'm glad you enjoyed them. Have a great day.

Aug 16, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Hey Leslie, - I remembered what I was going to add to our last conversation. One of the very best concerts ever put on DVD is Lucky Dube Live. I have a pristine copy, I finally got from order back at Virgin Megastore when they were still here. Here it is. It is not as good as mine but better than not hearing it at all........d:o)

youtube.com/watch?v=XBAFcHvN...

Here it is on DVD through Amazon

amazon.com/Lucky-Dube-Live-C...

Aug 17, 2014 at 8:23 AM

Nothing beats making a Sunday morning brighter for a friend.......one love......d:o)

Aug 18, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Nothing is more valuable than friends. Peace.

• riorich55's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2014 at 6:19 PM

Hi Leslie, how have you been? Getting the travel bug again. Nine weeks before our trip to Montreal, Saratoga Springs, Philadelphia and Washington D.C. for the VT meeting. Hoping to catch some nice autumn colors on our train ride down from Montreal to D.C.

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Wow! Thanks for the visit........d:o)
    My rather thin group of tips. I intend to re-write all of my pages and gt some more in there. The problem is that I have soooooooo many places to write about, - I will likely croak before I am done.
    Much respect.
    E.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
LeslieofTodd's Profile Photo

LeslieofTodd

“Pull yourself up by the bootstraps and put one foot in front of the other.”

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.